Thread: Hi newbie with a 48 Super8

Hi newbie with a 48 Super8

Not to sound stupid but I dont have a lot of knowledge with this trying to find the easiest way to add brake fluid to the master cylinder and which engine oil to use in it. It's a cool car also looking at finding shocks for it I was told that the original ones are expensive. Thanks for any information.

Rotella 10w-40 ( or other diesel rated oil ) is closest to what the formulations were when your car was manufactured. you may want to include a zinc additive.

the 'problem' with modern automotive oils is catalytic convertors. zinc and lead and a lot of the other additives that used to be in the formula clog the convertors up.

your car never had a convertor.

the 1952 Shop manual should apply to your car. the 320 was in production for decades and the 263 is an uprated version of the 248.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...shop/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

'48 Super

Congratulations on joining the Buick "owners club" . We love our Buicks. Many of us believe the last "real" buick was the last straight eight.
    The brake master cylinder is located on the driver side frame just in front of the cowl. Raise the hood [ don't you love the side opening hood?] on the driver side. Look down just in front of the cowl, kinda beneath the steering column. The fill plug is about a 1 inch cap. Unscrew same and add fluid. BUT if fluid is needed, a leak is present somewhere. That will need to be repaired.
    Shocks!!! New ones are unavailable. Rebuilders are out there . Between $150.00 and $200.00 per. Please don't think about replacing with "modern" shocks. You WILL lose the Buick ride. Try refilling them with hydraulic jack oil. If the seals are not too bad, they will probably be fine.
    Please keep us in the loop. Any pictures?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Dons1948 View Post
    Not to sound stupid but I dont have a lot of knowledge with this trying to find the easiest way to add brake fluid to the master cylinder and which engine oil to use in it. It's a cool car also looking at finding shocks for it I was told that the original ones are expensive. Thanks for any information.
    Here's some inspirational reading, I followed these instructions rebuilding my shocks on my - 50 Buick.

http://www.roadmachine.fi/Buick/february2003.html

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

I did a set for my "stagnent" '52 project. As I remember it, orienting them back on was not too big a problem as they really only lined up when placed back on the splines correctly. The biggest problem was the "freeze" plug on the underside as it was not a normally supplied item. I had to build my own. The seals were common, available anywhere.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Dons1948 View Post
    Thank you for all the information and I'll attempt to download pictures and I'll be checking in soon.

still working on it

I tried to download photos of the car, but apparently I did something wrong, I'm not the most tech savvy person. I'll try again. I have the heater core out and at a local shop in Queenbury N.Y., seem like nice people. I seem to have pedal now with the brakes. Hope to have it driving down the road soon.

still working on it

Hi just got the heater core back and put in, but now found that it appears that the radiator is "weeping" from the lower section, I did spill some anti freeze while refilling it and hope that most of it is just residual. If not I will be looking for a new radiator. I will again try to get some photos of the car up.

still working on it

It's a while but I did drive it down the road, although it's not registered yet. The brakes work and seem to be holding fluid, haven't seen any leaks. I cannot get the wipers to work and am wondering if they are vacuum or if there is a motor somewhere. Now that winter is coming I can do some tinkering on it. I also cannot get the radio to work, it has power but no sound. Thank you.