Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '48 Super Sedanette

i'm not saying you should, i'm just pointing out that if you're going to go for a more modern engine, the Cummins is an option a lot of people overlook. and your car is already designed for an inline engine.

diesel swaps to old rods are starting to show up in Diesel Power mag on a semi-regular basis though, so word is getting out. a lot of mid-60s and older gasoline engines are pretty fricking heavy, so you're not even gaining much weight. pair it up with a modern 5 or 6 speed auto that came behind the diesel and you can gear that thing so it will run out to 130+ and still roast the tires.

but it looks like the crack in the water jacket

yeah, as long as it's not structural you should be able to get by on JB Weld.

the Buick Str-8 keeps the Exh and Int on the same side of the block. sounds like an excuse to mount a turbo, yeah?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I might have to make a road trip to Texas if I can't use my motor.....

As I said, I'm not going with a modern motor. I'm not switching to 12 volts and definitely not installing a computer in the car. Even if everyone was doing it, I still wouldn't......I didn't get caught up in the "throw a small block chevy in everything" craze and later the "throw an LS motor in everything" craze either. It's important to me to keep the character of the car and a modern powertrain takes a lot away from that.

Now you're talking about the turbo, although I'd probably go with a low boost supercharger..... but there's a lot that has to happen before that kind of fun is even on the radar.....

It's not a structural part of the block, but I won't be JB welding it....it'll either get stitched or brazed properly so it's a permanent fix.