Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '48 Super Sedanette

'48 Super Sedanette

New to the forum and Buicks. After looking for about 10 years for a Sedanette that was a project but not too much of a project, the stars finally aligned and I picked up this '48 Super a few days ago.

Needs a lot of work and admittedly looks better in pics than in person. It's going to be a long project.....cracked block, cracked exhaust manifold, bad wiring throughout, and a million smaller projects to sort through. But that's the fun......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good luck with your project. I love that body style!

nice find.............
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

that IS really swoopy looking. very nice.

It's going to be a long project.....cracked block, cracked exhaust manifold

you going for a Straight 8 or are you just going to upgrade to something more modern?

lot of people swap in v8s ... but i'm thinking a Cummins I6 turbo wouldn't be far off of current power plant dimensions or weight.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I'm pretty old school, so the plan is to hot rod the straight 8 a bit...nothing major and I know it won't make the power of a later V8.

Right now, a good motor is looking hard to come by, but it looks like the crack in the water jacket can be repaired and, since it's the original motor, I'm leaning that way.

A diesel would be interesting, but not my style. I don't want a modern motor like that in it....also tough to want to replace a super smooth motor with a diesel.

'48 Super

Quote Originally Posted by Csavaglio View Post
    New to the forum and Buicks. After looking for about 10 years for a Sedanette that was a project but not too much of a project, the stars finally aligned and I picked up this '48 Super a few days ago.

Needs a lot of work and admittedly looks better in pics than in person. It's going to be a long project.....cracked block, cracked exhaust manifold, bad wiring throughout, and a million smaller projects to sort through. But that's the fun......
    Neat car. Where are you located? I will have a '50 248 for sale in a while.

Ben

Colorado....but I think one is plenty to keep me busy. I also have a '55 T-bird, so there's no getting bored around here......or time for a girlfriend....

Chris

"48 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by Csavaglio View Post
    Colorado....but I think one is plenty to keep me busy. I also have a '55 T-bird, so there's no getting bored around here......or time for a girlfriend....

Chris
    Probably did not make myself clear. Talking about a 248 engine in case yours is unrepairable. Just over 10,000 miles since a complete rebuild.

Ben

Oh, right on...yeah, I totally misunderstood.

Is it from a 3 speed car? The cranks are different and (for some reason) the Hollander shows that the blocks themselves don't interchange.

Where are you located?

C

248 engine

It is now in a 3 speed standard. I have heated up a 263 that will soon get installed in its place. I rebuilt it about 8 years ago when I "refurbished" the '50.

I am in Wichita Falls, TX.

Ben