- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: Generator Issue

Generator Issue

I have not been running my 62 Electra as often as I should and would have to charge the battery overnight or jump it to start it. A friend mentioned using a Battery Tender. I bought one and have had it on for a couple of weeks, when we went out for a drive today, it started right up but now the generator light is on. I normally have 12.5 volts on the battery and when it's running there is usually about 14.25. Now there is only 12.5 when it is running, could the Battery Tender been the cause? I should have about 14.25 with the engine running, correct? Any issues with using a Battery Tender? Thank you all in advance.

I have used battery tenders on many vehicles over the years, and have never had any issues. I even put solar maintainers on all my trailer batteries, and my lawn tractor batteries.

You are probably just experiencing an unfortunate failure in your regulator or generator.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Cool Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I have used battery tenders on many vehicles over the years, and have never had any issues. I even put solar maintainers on all my trailer batteries, and my lawn tractor batteries.

You are probably just experiencing an unfortunate failure in your regulator or generator.
    Thanks Bob, appreciate your time

tender

Did you unhook your battery cable(s) with the tender on it?
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Quote Originally Posted by 65specialconvert View Post
    Did you unhook your battery cable(s) with the tender on it?
    No I did not, should I have?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill4Sue View Post
    No I did not, should I have?
    Does it make a difference wether or not the car has an alternator or generator?

The voltage readings you described were typical for a failed charging system. It would not matter wether you had a generator or an alternator.

A maintainer will keep up to any normal draw on your battery, so if all is healthy, there is no need to disconnect the battery.
    Last edited by Bob; 11-12-2016 at 07:35 PM.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!