-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 47' Super misfire/breaking up at 50mph

With the Pertronix installed it advanced the advance plate. Now that the points are back in the plate is probably where it should be back in it's stock position. I still say the mechanical advance is coming in too soon/fast. Once you get the timing back to 6* BTDC drive it & see if it starts breaking up again. If it does then dis-connect the vacuum advance like I said above & repeat. If it's OK now my theory is right about being too fast on the mechanical.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

A similar problem with Pertronix in a nailhead: After removing the Pertronix and replacing the points the distributor had to be rotated 15* to set the timing; also the arc tracks on the electrodes inside the distributor cap were only on one edge. The Pertronix is on the shelf to stay...all this after chasing "carb issues" for weeks. After disconnecting the vacuum advance, I finally worked inside the distributor: apparently the vacuum advance along with Pertronix was making the spark jump excessively inside the cap.

Messed around with the car for a little bit. The distributor was one tooth off now that the points are back in. I don't remember having to pull the dizzy out after putting the pertronix in, but I guess it could have gotten spun one tooth during one of the previous times I've had it out/in. Still not sure how the pertronix timing could be set right how it was, and then it be a whole tooth difference to get the timing set with the points. Either way, it's set right about 6-8° degrees now. Didn't get a chance to road test it, but throttle response feels improved while revving it a bit in the driveway.

Sorry for the late response. On a new shift at work and the weather has been cold, so haven't given the car much attention.
    I did take it out for a real test drive last week, and am happy to report the car is running smooth at all speeds now. The culprit was definitely the distributor being one tooth off, which was masked by the pertronix system still allowing it to read as in time with the timing light. As of now I'm leaving the points in.
    Still have a little bit of a rough idle, but I can live with that for now (leaning towards the carb for that one).
    Thanks all for the help

👍........😉

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----