-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 47' Super misfire/breaking up at 50mph

That would be quick & easy & cost no $$$$$ just for testing.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

The .46 and .47 jets I ordered came in today. I threw the .46's in and it might have actually made the condition worse. Going to swap the points in tomorrow if I have time and retest. I took a couple videos of it acting up.. I could probably upload and link them here if anyone is curious to hear what it's doing.

please do that
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

careful which wires you run on pertronix. I think less than 600Ω is preferred. non solid core. what is your dizzy timing set to? I had to move mine about 1/2 inch befor pointer. advance until ping, then back off.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Can kind of hear it breaking up here. It was doing it pretty bad but it's hard to pick up the audio on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    careful which wires you run on pertronix. I think less than 600Ω is preferred. non solid core. what is your dizzy timing set to? I had to move mine about 1/2 inch befor pointer. advance until ping, then back off.
    Originally I bought and made wires from what CARS buick place sells. A buddy had some spare wire left that looked a little better and maybe larger diameter, so I made a second set from that to see if it would help.. both sets are stranded wire and same problem with both sets. I'm pretty sure I did the wire change before I put the pertronix in there too. I'll have to ohm them out and see what they read.
    I believe the last thing I set the timing on was 6°. I tried anywhere from 4-12 degrees and it didn't seem to help the breaking up no matter where it was set.
    I can't remember what the factory plug gap is, but I've tried gapping a little wider as well and that didn't help any.. so they're back at factory gap spec now.
    I'll get to swapping the points back in this sometime this week.

Still had the brand new points and condensor from when I had sent the distributor out to get rebuilt.. just threw those back in. Actually seems to have cleared up quite a bit. It's not completely gone, but it's better than it was. I still have to take it out for a test drive, but the driveway test in neutral seems promising. I may have to get my hands on a dwell meter and figure that out.. I just tried my best to set the gap at the .015 the manual calls for.

BEFORE you do any kind of point adjustment check to see where your timing is at NOW after you've installed the points. It could be the timing is advancing TOO fast. Try dis-connecting the vacuum advance to see if it may be better. That will tell you if the mechanical advance is coming in too fast. If it is or gets better try replacing one or both advance springs with one or two stronger ones.
    Just another thought.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    BEFORE you do any kind of point adjustment check to see where your timing is at NOW after you've installed the points. It could be the timing is advancing TOO fast. Try dis-connecting the vacuum advance to see if it may be better. That will tell you if the mechanical advance is coming in too fast. If it is or gets better try replacing one or both advance springs with one or two stronger ones.
    Just another thought.

Tom T.
    Will recheck timing and report back. I did notice it looked like the vacuum gauge dropped a few pounds after the points went in.. so either timing did change, or it's something else. I'll check/adjust timing again then take it for a drive. I know the car acted up prior to putting the pertronix in, but it really could have had multiple issues going on then.

Had some time to mess with the car earlier. Checked timing and almost couldn't find the TDC mark. I had to turn the distributor fully advanced just to get 0° TDC. Is it possible that the distributor is a full tooth off now that I have the points back in? I know timing was set at 6° before I installed them.. but now I can't even get there. I pulled the cap off and bumped the starter around.. rotor looks like it's pointing right towards #1 when the TDC line and 4-6° hashmark comes around.
    Getting the distributor advanced back to 0° did at least bump the vacuum reading up a little again.
    I am happy to report that despite the timing being off now, I took the car for a test drive and didn't feel any hiccups or breaking up at any speed or RPM. If I can get the low timing sorted out, this thing might finally have all the kinks worked out.. or at least the major ones.
    Thanks everyone for the help so far.