- Musclecar Enthusiast March 06 - the Jim Burek 350 porting article
- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: Need help keeping it running

Need help keeping it running

My 70 wagoneer with Buick 350 starts and runs totally fine like it should and then as soon as the thermostat opens it wants to run like crap and die. There's no water in the oil. What in the world is going on? It's all stock with a 2 barrel cast manifold. The only thing I could think of is the intake manifold has a hairline crack that is allowing a very fine spray of coolant to mix with the fuel in the manifold.... is that even possible? It will run if I keep pumping the pedal and keep the rpms up.
    I need some ideas of what to check. I'm baffled and frustrated to say the least.

thanks for any and all help

You mostly likely have carburetor problems

You need to look at your carburetor. By pumping your gas pedal - you are squirting gas into the engine via the accelerator pump and that's what keeps the engine running. If this car has sat for a long time (years) - then it would be a good idea to just rebuild it anyway - no matter what. Otherwise, check the usual stuff - points, plugs, distributor cap, wires, coil, etc. The thermostat won't cause what you are describing. BluesBrothersBuicks