Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 425 Build

would it be possible to get this scaled before you install it?

say, scale the entire run stand with the engine installed and then pull the engine and scale the run stand without it?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

That might be interesting, but I don't have the capability. While there might be somewhere, I would then need the ability to load and unload it from a pickup. Unfortunately the truck I had with a small crane was totaled a year and half ago

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

do you know anybody in circle track racing?

anybody from Sportsman / Modified on up probably has their own set of shop scales, or access too them. it's necessary to have them because most classes have rules for max left side percentage and often a F / R percentage rule as well.

those are highly portable.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/o...2-18-579-15304
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    would it be possible to get this scaled before you install it?

say, scale the entire run stand with the engine installed and then pull the engine and scale the run stand without it?
    Here you go... 674 pounds.

IMG_1713.jpgIMG_1716.jpgIMG_1719.jpgIMG_1720.jpg

The weight of 674 pounds was after the motor had been run. It has full oil, no oil in the power steering reservoir, water had been drained from the block plugs. No air cleaner, only one fan belt, included hoses.

Weighed as in the picture. Included A/C compressor, heavy OE starter, exhaust manifolds with heat riser.
    Last edited by Bob; 08-19-2017 at 06:46 AM.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

thanks muchly.

~675lbs puts it quite a bit lighter than the mid 700s i typically see quoted for 401 / 425. but that's still around 40 lbs heavier than what the 455 is supposed to weigh. all in all, not a huge penalty for a more robust oiling system and forged crank + rods.

that REALLY makes me wonder about putting 455 heads on a Nail block.

i'm guessing the 401 weighs more?
    Vladimir Lenin

A 401 can't weight more! Unless the mid 700s includes the transmission?

erm, i would guess the 401 *has* to weigh more, although perhaps not much. piston is aluminum, cylinder wall is cast iron.

CI weighs more per volume than AL does.

therefore, every thousandth of bore reduction means less Alum and more CI. even if the cylinder bore in the smaller displacement is cast to a slightly smaller dia, you still have more CI in the deck.

therefore, if the casting is same in almost every other respect other than bore size, they would have to take CI out of some other part of the casting in order to maintain weight.

worst would be if they just used the same casting but simply bored the 425 extra large.

i'm certainly not expecting it to put a 401 into the mid 700s, but it's just something i'm curious about.
    Vladimir Lenin

Here is what I hope is the final build for a transmission kick-down switch bracket for the 2X4 set up. Maybe someone else will want these dimensions. I would have liked the correct "66 bracket, but a reasonably priced one has eluded me for now.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob; 07-18-2018 at 09:14 PM.

I just got through doing a 401, complete engine. Bored to 4.215, with intake & exhaust manifolds, one of my "Mini-Starters", alt, belt, hoses, brackets to have a complete running engine on an engine start cart was 638pds.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

That make 37 lbs. less. Mine had an a/c pump complete with brackets, that and your mini-starter would probably account for the weight difference.