Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 425 Build

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The cam choice will be a disappointment to almost everyone. It is a Schneider:
    intake: .464 valve lift, 205 @ .050"
    exhaust: .477 valve lift, 215 @ .050"
    112 center

Paint is on:
    Attachment 6703
    Looking good, Bob

I am a novice on cam nomenclature. Why will most be disappointed? What do the numbers mean. What would be better to "most"?

Thanks
    Ben

If you Click Here at this chart of Buick Nailhead street cam recommendations, most people would not even be happy with the smallest because it wouldn't have enough or a lumpy idle. That is why Comp cams doesn't even make a cam for the Nailhead that isn't a "Thumper". To most the idle is everything, performance and drivability is secondary.

I don't have the specs on the cam I have installed, but it is a Schnieder close to the 262-70H one shown on that page. Won't have lump, but I it will be comfortable and affordable to drive.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Buick Dual Quads

Been making some progress on the 425. Lots of details go into fitting the 2x4 set up. Modified kick down, never quite figured out exactly how it was supposed to fit on to the carb. I removed the existing fitting and built a new one. Found the correct kick down bracket was available, but at $150.00 - 250.00, it was a little rich so I decided to build my own from two regular kick down brackets.
    kick-down.png

Built a fuel line, but I had interference with the air cleaner I will have to rebuild the filter to coupling line and rotate the line down a 1/2" or so to clear the air cleaner.

Buick bypass filter part numbers are:
    - GM 5651305
    - Delco Gf-423
    - Fram G19

fuel-line.png

Started looking for an air cleaner.
    Buick 2X4, dual quad air cleaner part numbers are:
    -GM 1553443
    - AC A59C
    - Fram CA182PL
    - Baldwin PA631
    - Fleetguard AF1714
    - Motorcraft FA43

Current state of the project:
    engine-1.png

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Finally, it runs!!
    Who knows, maybe I can even get it on the road before snow flies...

I used an insulating product on the exhaust manifolds, then covered them with POR manifold paint. The paint did not stick as you will notice.
    You can give me a hard time over the dramatic film start

Sounds good Bob! The idle is smooth and the motor gets right with it. Is it drop in ad go now or is there a lot left to do on the car?
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

I have to go through the transmission, do some interior work, and decide what to do with the rad. Not too much, but we have too much happening this summer, including a complete kitchen and other summer happenings

Bob, I could not find any reference to what piston you used in your buildup of the 425.

Quote Originally Posted by suntreemcanic View Post
    Bob, I could not find any reference to what piston you used in your buildup of the 425.
    Nothing special, I believe they were a set by Hastings 645.

Bob, I was not clear enough, I was inquiring about the brand of pistons you used.

Yes, you were, I suffer from fuzzy old brain disease

They are Rebuilders Choice, PST2195A 30. Cast Aluminum.
    Last edited by Bob; 07-26-2017 at 07:29 PM.