From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: Pulled fuel pump & found ???? Any Ideas?

Pulled fuel pump & found ???? Any Ideas?

I pulled the fuel pump due to low output and as always, I took a couple pics for reference. It looks like there is something in there like a piece of a gasket or rag. I thought I should run it by you guys before proceeding, might be nothing, but I would rather be cautious. Thanks.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it may be a piece of the diaphragm from the pump. Pull it out and see of it is rubber.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Thanks for the tip Steve. I will try to get one of the kids to pull it out of there.
    Doug

Chop Sticks?
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Finally got back to it...

Well I finally got a good look inside the timing cover with the Dist, fuel pump, and the oil pump removed. I was not prepared for the secrets my Lily had been hiding from me.
    The last month or so I had been having problems with detonation, low speed hesitation, dieseling, unstable dwell, and inconsistent ignition timing. I assumed, Yeah ***-Sumed, that they were just issues that needed to be ironed out with a 50 year old car. This is where I made a great error in judgement.
    As it turns out, these issues are all actually one - a disaster under the timing cover. The cam and distributor gear have been wandering all over the place, there are bits of gaskets and RTV, metal from pretty much ever piece under there, chunks of unknown goo, lots of scorching, scratches, cracks, and stress fractures all over the cover as well as the water pump, and oil pump housing.
    I was in denial at first, so I did what anyone in distress would do - I had three beers and tried to clean up the mess with a wire brush and a lot of good intention. It did not improve the situation, but I was able to tell that the timing set had been replaced already, more than likely right before I bought the car a year ago.
    So, I am left with the decision of what to do... I have two 340's that may or may not be rebuild-able , but I think that I would be much happier with a 455!
    Doug

did you say the CAM has been wandering all over the place? that's no good.

I have two 340's that may or may not be rebuild-able , but I think that I would be much happier with a 455!

you know, if you put BOTH 340s in there, you'll have 680 cubes!

the real problem with the 340ci is that it only has a two year production run ( 1966-67 ) and it's a taller deck than the 300ci or 215ci. so if both of your 340s are two barrel, it can be a pain in the *** trying to run down a 4 barrel intake.

the Buick 350 is the same deck height as a 340ci, but the 350 changes valve order so *none* of the top end pieces ( cam / heads / intake / exhaust ) will swap back to the 340.

sounds like time to acquaint yourself with www.TAPerformance.com
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

2 340's

I think that you might be on to something with the two 340 = 680, so by proxy that would make the transmission a ST-800!

You are right, there are very few options when it comes to the 340. I was happy when the second car also had the 4bbl manifold, and the 400 trans. The engine from my donor car does run, but I am not sure if it would be worth the effort in the end because it probably also needs attention.

There is this vivid image in my head of a blue Sport Wagon hitting 8.44 and I can't make it go away! Now there is this terrible conflict going on between my vision for the car's future and my bank account, so I am hoping to find a 455 locally, hopefully free and delivered!

Doug