- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 1975 buick 455

1975 buick 455

Hi guys,
    I am looking to rebuild my 1975 455 buick. This engine have no much power, so I am thinking replacing the heads with earlier ones.
    Do 67-69 430 heads fit and work properly with the 75 block and a B4B intake? And if they fit, any ports or valves job should be done?
    Please tell me what do you think. Suggestions are welcome.

Yes! They'll work. Don't forget to open up pushrod holes the same size as 75 heads to clear the larger 75 pushrods. Also make sure you use the 75 rocker arm assembly and lifters with the 75 pushrods. DO NOT USE THE 430 PUSHRODS when making this change over. Your welcome to email me at evansdal1@aol.com Jose Evans

430s oil the rockers by weeping from the rocker shaft, 455s oil in the 'standard' Chevy fashion by pumping oil up the pushrods.

so, if you use a 430 head on a 455 engine you need to block off the oil passages from the blocks to the heads AND use hollow pushrods.

i expect 430 heads might be a bit of a problem to secure in Lebanon. are you sure you don't just want to get new aluminum heads from TA? better flow out of the box than maximum porting effort on factory cast irons and you'll also save a bunch of weight.

the good thing about the 75 is that it's the strongest block casting the Buick big blocks ever had and it also has all of the Buick factory oil passage upgrades as well as HEI and the 800cfm Quadrajet. performance wise, the 75-76 are garbage. way oversized combustion chambers in the heads and also deep dishes in the tops of the pistons. plus it's got all the emissions crap on it.

www.TAPerformance.com

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/idblock.htm

don't forget to take a look a the oil passage mods if you decide to rebuild this engine. the factory setup is just fine for a street use engine, but a lot of the upgrades are very simple and cheap and there's no good reason not to do them.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    430s oil the rockers by weeping from the rocker shaft, 455s oil in the 'standard' Chevy fashion by pumping oil up the pushrods.so, if you use a 430 head on a 455 engine you need to block off the oil passages from the blocks to the heads AND use hollow pushrods.i expect 430 heads might be a bit of a problem to secure in Lebanon. are you sure you don't just want to get new aluminum heads from TA? better flow out of the box than maximum porting effort on factory cast irons and you'll also save a bunch of weight.the good thing about the 75 is that it's the strongest block casting the Buick big blocks ever had and it also has all of the Buick factory oil passage upgrades as well as HEI and the 800cfm Quadrajet. performance wise, the 75-76 are garbage. way oversized combustion chambers in the heads and also deep dishes in the tops of the pistons. plus it's got all the emissions crap on it.www.TAPerformance.comhttp://www.buickperformanceclub.com/idblock.htmdon't forget to take a look a the oil passage mods if you decide to rebuild this engine. the factory setup is just fine for a street use engine, but a lot of the upgrades are very simple and cheap and there's no good reason not to do them.
    The only reason why I am looking far from Edelbrock amuminum heads is that I've been told that they twist over the time if overheated. So what do you say? But if I go with the aluminum heads, do the stock rocker arms and pushrods fit and work properly with them? And about the pistons, sealed power tall deck pistons will be ok to replace the stocks?
    Last edited by Bassem ABOU ANTOUN; 09-14-2016 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassem ABOU ANTOUN View Post
    The only reason why I am looking far from Edelbrock amuminum heads is that I've been told that they twist over the time if overheated. So what do you say? But if I go with the aluminum heads, do the stock rocker arms and pushrods fit and work properly with them? And about the pistons, sealed power tall deck pistons will be ok to replace the stocks?
    Modern aluminum alloys are superior to past materials. I have been running aluminum heads for 10 years with no problems at all. Warping is not a concern at all. I lost my alternator belt at the track, engine hit 230*. I shut it off, replaced the belt, let it cool, and kept on racing.

Edelbrock heads take Chevy stud mounted rockers. The TA heads will accept stock Buick rockers.

As far as pistons go, read this page about building a 470 Buick.

http://www.trishieldperformance.com/...-and-why-.html
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

The only reason why I am looking far from Edelbrock amuminum heads

i'm actually not talking about the Edelbrocks. this is the primary Buick aftermarket vendor for small and big block parts, here:

www.TAPerformance.com

you can get any level of head you want from them ( even the Edelbrock ), although the Track Eliminator variants will require use of the TA SP2 intake.

Stage 2+ all mean that the exhaust port dog leg has been milled off and the head must be used with headers, stock exhaust manifolds will no longer fit.

And about the pistons, sealed power tall deck pistons will be ok to replace the stocks?

aluminum dissipates heat faster than cast iron so the rule of thumb is that you can bump static compression ratio about a half point over the equivalent cast iron head build. that's not really a concern until you're getting to the edge of performance though.

the factory 1970 455ci was blueprinted to 10.5:1 while, due to emissions, your 1975 was down to 7.9:1 compression. with alum heads you should be able to go to <11:1 compression and still run premium 90 octane. if you run the stock pistons there should be no problem running the 87 octane US ( i'm guessing this fuel would be rated ~91 for you ) rated regular.

beyond that, you should definitely plan on running race fuel or at least 100LL AvGas. you'll need to remove the catalytic convertors if using AvGas or race fuel as most of those are leaded.

i'm not sure what you mean by "tall deck pistons" ( i assume you mean pin height ), but if you're doing a major rebuild you need to have your block squared and decked by a machine shop as the first step. the shop will also let you know if the bores need to be cleaned up, which will often give you a slight overbore / more displacement although there's no point in chasing <5 ci in a 455ci engine if it's not necessary.

this will give you your actual deck height which is what you need to know in order to plan your rod and piston pin height combination ( this + the combustion chamber space in the head determines static compression ). high performance builds normally aim for piston flush with deck or just slightly recessed.

for a minor street rebuild, you'll want a new cam, get rid of emissions crap and heads / headers can be part of that. definitely make sure the distributor and carb get a reputable rebuild as well.

once you start getting into new pistons and rods, that's a decent amount of expense and hassle, you may as well do it right and get everything ( including oil passage upgrades ) done.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Well, that helped a lot guys, thanks a lot.
    So this is what I will be doing (plz correct if anything is wrong)
    -bore the block to .030 (if necessary)
    -get a b4b intake (for just street porfermance)
    -holley 750 street hp carburetor (what you think about it? Or should I go with 800 cfm? Stock quadrajet is 800 cfm)
    -235 duration camshaft (which TA cam is recommended?) With hydraulic lifters
    -TA aluminum stage 1 heads complete with stock rollers and rocker arms
    -aluminum pistons (Sealed Power)
    -msd coil and ignition
    And some other parts.What you think about these parts in a 1975 455 block?
    Last edited by Bassem ABOU ANTOUN; 09-19-2016 at 12:19 AM.