Thread: 67 Riviera Heater Core and AC Delete

67 Riviera Heater Core and AC Delete

Hi..

First of all, I live above the Arctic Circle in Norway,so i kinda need Heat.. and I really don't need AC.. Heater core has been bypassed..

I have the 67 Riv chassi manual,but i haven't really dived into the AC section yet (only had the car for 2 weeks)

Is the heater in anyway connected to the AC-system (might be a silly question )
    But i kinda want to remove the AC-system ,to "declutter" the engine bay,but still have a functioning heating system
    Logically those 2 should be 2 different system??
    If i replace the leaking heater core,and remove the AC system,would the heater work as it's supposed to? (When connected with proper hoses)
    Haven't found a AC-delete kit for the Riv?
    And no..I'm not a "car show" guy,so i really don't care if the system is missing,and heat is not an issue AT ALL in my region..

I don't know the scope of you project, but if you have a look at the a/c/heating systems in the chassis manual, it may give you some idea what you are up against. You can find them in the chassis manual here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...ssis/index.php

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Your big problem - Heater/AC (squirrel cage) fan

Quote Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
    Hi..

First of all, I live above the Arctic Circle in Norway,so i kinda need Heat.. and I really don't need AC.. Heater core has been bypassed..

I have the 67 Riv chassi manual,but i haven't really dived into the AC section yet (only had the car for 2 weeks)

Is the heater in anyway connected to the AC-system (might be a silly question )
    But i kinda want to remove the AC-system ,to "declutter" the engine bay,but still have a functioning heating system
    If i replace the leaking heater core,and remove the AC system,would the heater work as it's supposed to? (When connected with proper hoses)
    Haven't found a AC-delete kit for the Riv?
    And no..I'm not a "car show" guy,so i really don't care if the system is missing,and heat is not an issue AT ALL in my region..
    The one big problem you're going to have is this - the AC components are all inside a firewall mounted "box" and you will end up with exposed holes from which air will blow through. Your best bet would be to find a non-AC box and mount that to the firewall. That's the direction I would go here in the states but, I have no idea how difficult it would be for you to locate a piece like that. I am not even sure if there were any RIVs built without AC. Maybe one from a Chevelle would work????? Other things to look out for are - behind the dash there are doors that change the direction of the airflow (to the floor, through the dash, up to the defrosters). Pay attention to these to make sure you will still get air coming out where its supposed to - after you remove the AC components. Also - I have no idea what type of AC controls you have but, some have a lot of vacuum hoses - and if you start disconnecting them - you're liable to have problems with how your engine runs (low vacuum). I have never heard of someone trying to do what you are asking about. Usually, they just leave everything in place in the box and just remove and plug the hoses. Good Luck!!!

they are until you get to the air handling, yes.

as Blues notes ( heh ), depending on how much you're stripping off, you may need to patch over and seal some holes in the firewall when you're done.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)