Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do I Remove This Brake Drum Hub???

I agree. The links coming from the wheel cylinder to the shoe should be coming straight out of the wheel cylinder. Are you sure that you have the wheel cylinders in right side up? Are you sure about the part numbers? How does everything compare to the old parts that you removed? Something is definitely out of kilter.

How Do I Remove This Brake Drum Hub???

Evening gents.

I didn't bother changing wheel cylinder links. I just applied some brake cleaner, sanded off the rust and residue, and after inspecting them, put the same links back in.

From what I can tell, the wheel cylinder only fits one way, the exact same way the old one did. I thought maybe I might have mixed up the left and right cylinder, but the wheel cylinder pictured only fit into the passenger rear wheel backing plate and lined up with the brake line. The part numbers are correct, but I may need to reinstall the old cylinder and see the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a pic of the brake set-up right after I pryed the drum off prior to changing the pads, springs, and wheel cylinder.

From what I can tell, the wheel cylinder pins are angled upward slightly there too. Granted, not as much as they are in the pic with all the new hardware, but you can see for yourself and lemme know what you think.

Thanks

You are missing a spring! I have extras I can send for free.
    On your other side, your adjuster is out pretty far, change that so it is minimized.
    I just finished a brake job on a 64, have a 65 to do next and they are the same stuff.
    Do not assume the colors I chose are correct, just playing around here

Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

I did a side by side of my pic against the one on the right you have here, and I count 8 springs in my and your pic (minus the parking/emery brake spring). I don't see which one I'm missing.

Please let me know which spring am I missing???????

One other thing I noticed... I thought about "reversing", not flipping, but reversing the brake adjuster spring l, so it hooks BEHIND the forward/short brake pad instead of in front of it, which is the way I have it, pushing the adjuster out another 1/4"...

I only did that because that's where it was when I finally got the drum off and immediately took a snap shot of the setup. Maybe I need to hook it behind the forward brake shoe versus in front of it...

missing spring

Post 13 , a spring is missing in the pic taken shortly after the drum was removed. In the pic of "after" it is there

Ben

Wellllllll... Pic # 13 wasn't really "immediately" after the removal of the drum... This one is. And you can see the "red" spring was there.

Guess I took it off and THEN thought to snap a pic of everything before I completely disassembled the brake setup.

My mistake...