Thread: newb with a jeep

newb with a jeep

Hello to all, I am the new owner of a 66 CJ5a jeep. A Chevy small block was what I was looking for. When I finally realized that it had a Buick motor. QJ 4 bbl with headers I was a little disappointed .
    BUT after some research I am getting excited about the Buick power plant mated to a T-98 4 speed. I couldn`t understand WHY put a Buick 350 in a jeep CJ!
    Again a little research and I saw the light. Still is hard to believe it is lighter than a SBC
    I have looked for the production code to no avail but found the engine ser # 49c111257. What year does that make it?
    I have looked through the reference sect an cant figure the year of mfg and compression.
    Thanks for any help you can provide

There should be a code on the deck of the block between the cylinders as pictured here: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_where. My guess from your partial vin# is a 1969 350 from the South Gate, CA plant.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

thank you Steve B

Finally found the code:
    RP 267
    Thanks once again for your guidance.

yep, lighter weight and more torque than the small block Chevy.

the RP code is also one of the high compression engines, so you should be able to get pretty good power out of that with simple things like a cam swap. you can get and HEI distributor off of a +75 production Buick 350.

if you ever do a full rebuild, you can also get a 5/8" pickup out of an even fire Buick v6 or +75 350. look up the oil mods threads.

I couldn`t understand WHY put a Buick 350 in a jeep CJ!

i assume you've noticed by now that Kaiser used the Buick 350 v8 and 225 odd fire v6 for quite a few years of production from the mid-60s to early 70s?

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/dauntless225.html
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

oh, also the original small block Buick v8, the aluminum 215ci / 3.5L was in production with Land Rover until 2004. the Rover only ever got up to 4.6L ( in wide production, there are a few 5.0L ) while Buick raised the deck heights so they could get a long stroke for the 350ci / 5.7L
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by oilcityjoe View Post
    Finally found the code:
    RP 267
    Thanks once again for your guidance.
    Not a bad guess then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

thank you

Gentlemen, thank you for the information/advice.
    Looks like the buick was a good swap to my amazement.
    Spoke with the previous owner and he said he broke 3 input shafts on the T-90 tranny. Torkie little fellow, that Buick.
    Only my 3rd Buick power plant, first was a 40 Buick coupe I-8, second a nail 322 in a 36 Ford. I remember how smoooooothe the straight eight was.
    Thanks again for the info