Thread: New Member and an Old Century

New Member and an Old Century

Hi. I'm new here and new to Buicks but not to old cars. I have restored or restomodded several early Ford Broncos and now I'm starting on something different.

I have a 1936 Buick 3 window coupe that was my uncle and dad's car when they were in high school. The car hasn't driven for over 50 years and has been sitting on our family ranch in Wyoming for that whole time. It was parked when those two spun a main bearing in the straight 8, cobbled in some sort of Nailhead or Oldsmobile V8 (the story is unclear) and them proceeded to also burn that engine up. The body of this car is solid but the interior and mechanicals are completely shot. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but this car is not headed for a restoration but for an old school hot rod build.

My uncle passed about 35 years ago and my dad has no idea if there is a title and doesn't even remember which one of them had the title. So my first step is to get a clear title. The body plate was misplaced during the V8 conversion so I don't have much to go on here. What I do know:

Frame S/N: 2964249
    Original Engine S/N: 63I22809 - From what I have read, that I is probably a 1 in a sequential number. However, it is clearly stamped as an I.

I know that the 6 in the engine number indicates a series 60 car. My dad always calls it a Century so I think that computes correctly. The car also has dual side mounts. Other than that, I don't know much for the Wyoming DMV to go on for a title search. I'm here looking for help and information.

My dad is 74 years old this year and finally retiring from the cattle business. I would like to get this car up and running for him to drive. He's in good health but time is slipping away and I want to let him drive it again before he's gone. Any help anyone can give is much appreciated.

Sounds like a great project!

In later models the frame number and the number on the door post were the same and probably should be on your car.

Hope your repowering with a Buick

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Sounds like a great project!

In later models the frame number and the number on the door post were the same and probably should be on your car.

Hope your repowering with a Buick
    Bob - thanks for the tip. And yes, I am a purist. I only put Ford power in Fords and I have a Buick 455-4V for this project. I'll put a SBC in a Chevy, if I ever own one.

Good news on the Title - The Wyoming DMV, which is really the County Clerk where I grew up, found the last title for this car with just the frame and engine numbers. It literally took 20 minutes and one phone call. it was last registered in 1960 and was titled in my grandmother's name. She has been gone for many years now as well but it's a forgone conclusion that I can at least get a clear title to this car.

It looks like the project can get started.

cool. post pix
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

This was today on its way to the Nevada DMV for a VIN Inspection. The clerk in Wyoming said she didn't think I would need it but that it couldn't hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images