- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Removing trans from block when the flywheel won't turn

Removing trans from block when the flywheel won't turn

We have pulled the 322 block with the transmission attached from our parts car. Is there a way to get the flywheel to turn so we can remove the bolts holding the transmission to the block? The parts car has been sitting for 40 years so the piston's are seized. We can drop the oil pan and unbolt the pistons but wanted to see if there were other options if the flywheel still won't turn... Thanks

Nope, no other options, crank must rotate. With oil pan off, use a prybar between crank webbings and main caps to pry crank end to end back and forth to determine if there is end play. No movement would indicate that it is siezed on a main bearing. If you have end play, it could be pistons or rod bearing stuck. A bearing failure will usually leave a clue such as discoloration or "dry" cap, sometimes debris in oil pan. If rods will rattle side to side, look to pistons as the problem.
    If the pistons are stuck, pour some MMO into each cylinder to break loose carbon. It will take awhile. If you find evidence of water in cylinders, corrosion will lock it down solid. A last resort if the crankshaft is already bad, cut the crank at the last rod journal with a cutting torch.
    I had a similar situation on a 322 that had thrown a rod, Had to pull pan and start unbolting stuff until crank would turn so I could remove transmission.
    John

I have exactly the same setup sitting outside my shop, it is full of oil and I am hoping it will free up. If it fails, I will try cutting the transmission off the engine to access the bolts necessary to release it from the transmission.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Got er done

Thanks all. We pulled engine and connected transmission out and left it hanging on the on hoist. We dropped the oil pan and unbolted each piston and worked them out of the top of the cylinder. Piston 3 and 6 were the culprits. Once number 6 was out the flywheel would turn and we could unbolt the transmission. The car sat in a salvage yard for 40ish years so this engine had a corrosion ring built up in the cylinders. Good news, block, heads, cylinder walls, crank and cam are all clean.

Thanks for the update, maybe I will try that approach when my 322's time comes...

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!