From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: 1940 jack and rims

1940 jack and rims

Does anyone have photos of a 1940 Buick jack? I need one for my Special but I don't know what I am looking for. It has 15"rims now but I believe the car should have 16" tires and rims.
    it seems there were different diameter hub caps for different years. What size rim and cap are correct? thanks

Found this in the 1940 Chassis Manual:
    1940-jack.png

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

1940 jack and rims

Thanks Bob

1940 Buick Jack

Quote Originally Posted by goshencars View Post
    Does anyone have photos of a 1940 Buick jack? I need one for my Special but I don't know what I am looking for. It has 15"rims now but I believe the car should have 16" tires and rims.
    it seems there were different diameter hub caps for different years. What size rim and cap are correct? thanks
    Here is a photo of the Jack and Stand in the trunk of my 1940 Super. The jack is placed under the top of the rim after removing the trim ring. When the car is jacked up the stand is put under the brake backing plate and the jack removed. My Super has 16 inch wheels and I believe they were standard, 15 may have been optional, I have no data. 1939 and 1940 Hub Caps have a wide rim on the back, 1941 and later a narrow rim. I have attached photos of the back of the 1940 and 1941 caps from eBay listings. Bobs has sold a nice reproduction of both for many years. They are Stainless Steel and very nice. I have attached a photo of mine.

The jacks turn up on eBay from time to time. Or post on buy sell on this forum or AACA Buick Buy/Sell. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info and photos. That helps a lot. What is the diameter of the hubcap for the 16" rim. Were they the same diameter for 15" and 16" in 1940? I have 15" rims that use a different cap than the 16" rims I have.

Hub Caps

BOB's lists the 1939-1940 Cap as 10 1/4" OD, 7 11/16" ID and the 1941-1950 Cap as 11" OD and 9 3/4" ID. Your 15" wheels are most likely 1941 Up.

I also came across a picture that better shows how the jack works, as well as one of the instruction decal on the jack stand. The decal pic is not that great but you can get an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to all for the help.