- Musclecar Enthusiast March 06 - the Jim Burek 350 porting article
- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: Squealing 350

Squealing 350

Hi I have a 1970 lesabre with high compression 350. I really like this car, its my first Buick engine. I have been chasing a fan belt noise. As of right now, all the belts are off all of the pulleys. The harmonic balancer is off also. When the motor is running There is still a squeaking or squealing noise coming from what i think is the front of the motor. I dont want to start throwing parts at this with having a better idea of what is going on. I was thinking maybe a bad oil pump, Timing chain? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

have you used a mechanics stethoscope to more closely isolate the noise source?

you can get a cheap one from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html

or you can just use a long screwdriver.

the Buick oil pump is driven off of the distributor shaft which is driven by the camshaft. you've also got the front main crankshaft bearing up there, so there's a lot of different places for there to be a bearing or shaft rubbing.

is there any metal in the oil?

if you wind up doing a full tear down, be sure to look at the articles on improving the oil passages. TAPerformance.com timing covers are pricey but very nice and also provide an oil flow bump.

the 71 shop manual will cover pretty much everything you need to know about servicing your engine for a stock rebuild. only major difference is that the 71 has deeper dish pistons and lower compression / lower power.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...ssis/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for your help!! I used a stethascope and it seemed like it was comming from the fly wheel cover. I took off the cover and the noise is louder. No noise an the trans or back of block. Torque converter?

Do you have oil pressure?
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

how many miles does this engine have on it?

how many since the last rebuild, if it's ever had one?

it may well be time to just get an engine kit ( rings / bearings / gaskets / seals ) and just give it a refresh. the car is 45 years old, after all.

the factory rear main seal is rope, if doing a rebuild be sure and get one of the neoprene two piece gaskets. better sealing ( when properly installed ) and less drag than rope.

if, somehow, this noise is coming from inside the convertor then this would be an excellent time to try to find a 200r4 transmission to swap in. that will give you both a shorter 1st gear ( better launches ) as well as overdrive ( taller top gear ) for lower cruising rpm and better fuel mileage.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)