Thread: New Member post

New Member post

Hope this doesn't insult anyone, I am in the process of putting a 215 Buick V8 in my Sand Buggy, This will be the second such Buggy for me. I really love this "little" engine for its light weight and remarkable Horsepower. .040bore, Holley4150 4 barrel, HEI ignition, 9.5 compression. Car will weigh about 1800 lbs with me in it. Should be very respectable. Marvin

sounds cool to me. my car club has one also with plans of building a belly tanker to race at the flats
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

insulted? heck no.

Buick 215s have been used at Indy, in Formula 1 ( back in the 60s ), for power boat racing, for chain saws, all kinds of crazy stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0jnfJKNNU

http://www.mcleanmonocycle.com/crash/

you might keep an eye out for Land Rover v8s. Buick production of the 215 only ran three years, 1961-63, after which Buick transitioned to the 300ci cast iron v8 for small block purposes.

BUT
    they sold the aluminum design and tooling to British Leyland ( holding company which included Rover ) in 1964. Land Rover converted the engine to metric ( 215ci ~= 3.5L ) and kept the design in production well into the 2000s, adding things such as EFI, cross bolted mains, serpentine accessory belts and punched the displacement out too commonly available 4.6L engines and 5.0L can be found.

many parts can be sourced from the Buick v6 ( the Buick 90* v6 is derived from the 300ci cast iron v8 ) and Land Rover v8 engines.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Alternator switch

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    insulted? heck no.

Buick 215s have been used at Indy, in Formula 1 ( back in the 60s ), for power boat racing, for chain saws, all kinds of crazy stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0jnfJKNNU

http://www.mcleanmonocycle.com/crash/

you might keep an eye out for Land Rover v8s. Buick production of the 215 only ran three years, 1961-63, after which Buick transitioned to the 300ci cast iron v8 for small block purposes.

BUT
    they sold the aluminum design and tooling to British Leyland ( holding company which included Rover ) in 1964. Land Rover converted the engine to metric ( 215ci ~= 3.5L ) and kept the design in production well into the 2000s, adding things such as EFI, cross bolted mains, serpentine accessory belts and punched the displacement out too commonly available 4.6L engines and 5.0L can be found.

many parts can be sourced from the Buick v6 ( the Buick 90* v6 is derived from the 300ci cast iron v8 ) and Land Rover v8 engines.
    I am not sure if I am doing this right? Has anyone put a GM alternator on their 215, mine came with a Lucas Alt. and no mounts. I have a GM alt, but no mount, can anyone help? Thanks!! Marvin

D&D has a lot of 215 / Rover stuff, they'll certainly have bracketry for whatever kind of alt you have. you can even get a complete serpentine belt setup.

http://aluminumv8.com/

www.TAPerformance.com is not dedicated to the 215 / Rover but they do also carry a lot of stuff.
    Vladimir Lenin

D&D Fab.

I need a working phone number for D&D Fab. I tried the one on their website, but it didn't sound like a business phone! Thanks, Marvin Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by marvinshaw View Post
    I need a working phone number for D&D Fab. I tried the one on their website, but it didn't sound like a business phone! Thanks, Marvin Shaw
    I got through to D&D this A. they had what I needed.

glad to be of help.
    Vladimir Lenin