- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: 350 SBB and rover 215

350 SBB and rover 215

HI,

Ca anybody tell me what the cam bearing size (both ID and OD) for 350 buick and rover V8s please?

it's critical that you know that SBB 350 and Rover style cams are NOT COMPATIBLE.

Buick 215/300/340/Rover uses stepped cam journals, the 350 has all of the cam journals the same size. so the 350 cam will not physically fit into a previous gen Buick small block.

further, EVEN IF you manage to use a cam designed for one in the other ( bushed bearings for a Rover style cam in a Buick 350, for instance ), the valve order got switched on the Buick 350 ( IE, IE, EI, EI ) relative to the 'Rover style' layout ( EI, EI, IE, IE ) used previously. therefore, you'd also have to find some way to swap heads and intakes ( at a minimum ) and use custom headers.

Rover style cam bearing specs ( in SAE ) are here, actual Rover engines will, of course, be designed in metric. pay close attention to bearing 4/5:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/2...gine_specs.php

the 350 uses the same cam bearings as the Buick 400/430/455 big block.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the reply.
    I have a complete twin turbo and custom injection system on a 4.0L Tvr in my rod and have a 350 motor too. I was going to put 300 heads onto the 350 block and use my turbo cam in the 350 block with the 300 heads and all of my intake and exhaust manifolds.

put 300 heads onto the 350 block and use my turbo cam in the 350 block with the 300 heads and all of my intake and exhaust manifolds.

okay, so you're trying to do the top end swap on the cheap. they are MUCH more rare ( but also have practically zero demand, so cheap when found ), but the Buick 340 ( .050" smaller bore ) would be exactly what you were looking for.

if you've got your heart set on the 350, i would suggest being very careful.

we've had guys mock this swap up before, there is interference on the pushrods where they pass through the hole in the block. because the Rover intake runners are siamesed, the drive train ( cam lobes, pushrods, rockers ) is slightly spread out so the geometry can get around the outside of the center intake runners. you will fix the rocker / cam lobe misalignment because you're going to be using the cam / head from the proper engine. but this will also maximize the interference you're going to see on the push rod in that pass through area.

i suppose you could take a die grinder to the block and just keep grinding til you get clearance or water?

the other option would be to swap a Buick 340/350 crank into a Rover 4.0/4.6 block. Buick 300 crank ( 3.400" ) swaps are quite common. the Buick 340/350 have the same throw so there's no real difference in them. but there is judicious grinding necessary to fit these in. the Rover block was never intended to take a 3.850" swing. final displacement with stock 4.0 pistons and the 350 crank is 331.34 cubic inches.

a Rover 4/4.6 does have a bit smaller bore than a 350 so you wouldn't be maximizing your displacement BUT you would reduce package weight vs the cast iron 350 and the lower deck height also helps keep c/g lower and intake weight down ( which also helps lower c/g ).

oh yeah, you'll also be fabbing spacer plates for your Rover intake to fit into the 350 valley.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

other things to think about, www.TAPerformance.com has aluminum heads for the 350 in development. word is they're getting some pretty monster NA flow although you may not be that concerned about that considering that you're forced induction.

there's a thread about the new heads over at V8Buick and the BritishV8 guys are also keeping an eye on them.

those TVRs are beauty, eh? give those guys at TVRMonster.com hell for selling their stuff, wouldja?
    Vladimir Lenin

We changed the valve angle to 12' and moved the valves to the center line of the bore to allow the use of larger valves. We also re positioned them side to side to get them to fit the best.

largest possible valve on new centerline positioning will be 2.05" intake / 1.60" exhaust
    Vladimir Lenin