Thread: 1956 Buick Super Power steering gear box

1956 Buick Super Power steering gear box

The power steering gear box on my 1956 Buick Super is shot. Are there any replacement columns that are compatible?

Not knowing anything about a 56 gearbox but I am familiar with a 52 box and you can change a gear box and still maintain your steering column and shaft. That way you do not have to repaint your column, turn signal mechanism and everything else just stays the same. I am sure 56's are similar in assembly. You would probably have to remove the column and steering gear and do all the disassembly and assembly on a table.

1956 Buick Super Power steering gear box

I would recommend having it rebuilt by the Lares corp, through Rockauto. It's the same service by the same people, but they charge a good amount less. Replacing it with another used one is risky. I've had two 56 steering boxes rebuilt this way with good results. There should be no need to mess with your steering column.

Your column and box should be two separate pieces, connected by a round rubber damper, correct?

That is great advise and good news that your box and steering column are separate.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    I would recommend having it rebuilt by the Lares corp, through Rockauto. It's the same service by the same people, but they charge a good amount less. Replacing it with another used one is risky. I've had two 56 steering boxes rebuilt this way with good results. There should be no need to mess with your steering column.

Your column and box should be two separate pieces, connected by a round rubber damper, correct?

Thanks for the info!
    Les