Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll Cages?

Roll Cages?

Had a close scrape today, no damage luckily (the me or the car) but it got me thinking, i should look into a cage, was thinking something lighter, 6 points or so, if anyone has caged there '71 skylark or knows a good cage that would fit im looking for ideas, thanks

You really need to consider how you will use the car before you do this. They are hard to remove once installed and are really several steps toward a race only vehicle. Passengers in the back will be at risk of hitting the bar during an accident. The driver without a helmet or front passenger can hit their head backwards on the bar as well. There is a restrictiveness in the five point safety harness that goes along with the roll bar. Then climbing over the front bars for access for you and your passengers or having to deal with swing out bars is more fun. I only drove to the track or had an occasional joyride once the car was caged. Imagine squeezing yourself into the cage and harness at the local Lowes along with your packages. The grocery getting phase is definitely over at that point!

Even with retro-fits, our cars fall well short of the safety standards of today because of their design. Newer cars have crumple zones, appropriate seat belts and multiple airbags, and safety is a major focus. We were just not aware of these safety improvements when our cars were designed and they can not be effectively re-engineered into them.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

oh its nothing that serious, i was just thinking something simple like in the pic below (general idea)
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's a simple 4 post cage with no door bars ( although i see one along the floor on the passenger side ) or front cross bar installed. you can find ( way more involved ) cages like this in any circle track supply catalog or bend your own.

although, to be frank, i don't know if you're going to gain all that much protection if you're just welding something like this to the belly pan. if you want to make these really sturdy, they need to be attached to the frame rails ... which means punching holes in the floor.

you get a hard hit in the door and that cage isn't tied down properly, it's just going to get punched out the other side of the car. and that assumes that whatever hits you / you hit doesn't just come straight through the door skin ( like an organ donor motorcycle going 150mph ) and turn you into red jelly.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    tn. if you want to make these really sturdy, they need to be attached to the frame rails ... which means punching holes in the floor.
    Yes, and too each other with cross bracing as well. This all gets pretty busy inside the cabin when done to sanctioning body standards, but they have learned a few hard lessens over the years developing them. I still say you have to imagine your passenger or yourself hitting the front hoop with out a helmet. No amount of padding is going to help you there.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

I still say you have to imagine your passenger or yourself hitting the front hoop with out a helmet.

i have hit a crossbar ... while wearing a helmet.

i still got a helicopter ride into the Halifax medical center.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

We put a 6 point in our 70 and could forget about back seat at that point. And had solid bars at doors which made it hard to get in and out. Safety first, but for a street car, I would find something more friendly. Both of my cars are now faster than track allows without bar. I may just put a single loop bar behind the front seat.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

My phone is acting up or I would post more pics but here is the setup I had in my skylark that I sold. I will post pics tomorrow of my current skylark

Sean G
    70 Skylark-Twin turbo 350 powered
    75 Regal-350
    76 Century-350
    78 Skyhawk-V6
    and 18 spare Buick 350s in the barn.

Awsome!

That's exactly what i had in mind! minus the cross bar behind the seats but i suppose that would undermine the whole thing, thanks for the pics thats some good insight into what id be going for.

A few more pics of my old cars setup:

And here is my current car its a more simple roll bar:

And my Chevy step side project which is getting a single turbo Buick 350:

And my Buick Appolo:

Sean G
    70 Skylark-Twin turbo 350 powered
    75 Regal-350
    76 Century-350
    78 Skyhawk-V6
    and 18 spare Buick 350s in the barn.