Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do you drive a classic?

chevo Guest

why do you drive a classic?

Now I know this is off in the realm esoteric, but bear with me...Today as I was driving my 52 down south congress, with heads turning, and people honking, I was thinking to myself, just what is it that makes driving these often cranky and inefficient dinosaurs around so rewarding? For me its about the connection to the past. Its that old car smell (that my 6 year old son loves and my wife hates) and I sure dont mind the attention....Let me know why you do it too.

....it feels good to be an anachronism

Chevo

The first thing that happens when I lay eyes on my Buick is I start to remember long ago days when my life was simpler. I remember my dad who loved Buicks and some of the old men who smoked cigars while driving their Buicks. Then when I turn the key and step on the magic starter pedal the car becomes an instant time machine transporting me back in time to the early 50's.

I turn on the Somomatic radio and hear songs from the past on our local oldies station which helps the transformation.

I have to confess that I take a certain pleasure in zooming along with modern traffic in the fast lane at the very edge of illegal speed feeling slightly superior somehow as I sit high above most traffic.

Sure I know that there may be a problem or two that pops up but that just adds to the excitment of driving an old car. I feel that I am able to fix anything that happens while driving and after all not just anyone can trouble shoot their car and get it going again with a rusty bobbie pin, electrical tape, and a screwdiver.

One other thing about driving your car often is learning to trust in it's ability to perform while at the same time making a mental checklist of items needing service.

I know some people enjoy looking at my car but that is not important to me anymore. I'm glad if they find pleasure seeing the car and hope it stirs memories for them but don't care for people using my car as an "eye test". I know about the flaws and look on them as character lines. If it was perfect it wouldn't be a daily driver.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Classics

Hey Chevo

It is diffinatly a connection with the past.

Most people don't realize even what type of car your driving,

They Know it is OLD and it rejuevinates a connection with the past of better days and family outing and events.

Grandma and Grandpa had a car similar to this.

It reflects a time where hardworking people would spend Good Times with Family and Friends on a Sunday when the stores were CLOSED, everyone when to church and NOBODY had to Work.

It was a day RESERVED FOR TOTAL RELAXATION!

PEOPLE RELATE TO THIS.

Old Cars and Family Values.

This reflects the "Post War" Era where familys were close after loosing family members in effort to keeping our country save from communism.

At this time "Family" gave the impression of Hope, Security in Numbers and Entertainment Value. Before the "**** Tube". This was reality!

Remember the Movie "Field of Dreams"

Today People relate to cars of dreams and remember the Good Times as life used to be in better times when people had noothin and didn't care but shared their time set asside for friends and family and to share a few laughs in comfortable surroundings without annoying cell phones and other distractions. Sundays were always reserved for only special occassions.

Just Sharing My thoughts on the Subject!

And Vehicles of this era are a lot simplier to fix

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Last edited by Tom Gallagher; 04-28-2006 at 05:16 PM.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

chevo Guest
    Well put gentlemen.....

Well I'm only 25 so nostalgia cars to me are 1985 Camaros and such. I've just always loved old cars especially 50's cars even though they were made 25 or 30 years before I was born. I have an old taste in cars i guess.
    1955 Buick Special 2dr HT

you have the "born in the wrong decade" issue SM_General...but dont feel bad..theres tons of us that were born 30 years to late too~!

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

I'm 29, but I've been working on cars since I was 11 (my Mustang). I just hate new stuff. I can tell you the year, make, and model of almost any car built since 1930. I had my 1st pedal car when I was 2. I have a room in my house filled with old car advertising and toys. My wife and mom say I'm an old man trapped in a young man's body, but I'll always own as many old cars as I can afford...I love ALL old cars and I just am not sure why! I can tell you one thing...listening to a 6 volt starter cranking a motor over sure has more soul than a whiny gear reduction starter on a Camry.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

50"s Nostalgia

If I lived down south with some of you fellows I would not even own a "new" car (I confess I have a Camry, the best, most boring, car I have ever owned). In the summer months I drive a 57 Buick Roadmonster, model 73, four door Riviera. My son drives a 2003 Alero for purpose but a 1956 Pontiac for summer fun.
    Why do we drive "Classics"? Because it feels good!! My son's Pontiac is 26 years older than he is. Unfortunately my Buick is 15 years younger than me. However, every day this side of the sod is a good day!

with any luck I will attach some pics to this note.....no luck

Chris

The fun for me is letting the hammer down on a 40 year old Nailhead and watching the gas gage and the speedo race in opposing directions. When
    you get to the next light some yuppie wants to know what it was that blew his doors off and you get to tell him that it was a 2 ton Buick. It's
    best to leave off the part about the 340 hp and the 445 ft lbs of torque,
    just let em guess.

Why I drive a classic

Hey Chevo you in Portland, Maine? (South Congres St.)

I drive mine because of the feeling I get when I start it up and actually feel the power and know that I did that!!!

I made it run, I made it look good (or bad) and I can not do that with my new truck. You can barely change the oil without screwing somethgin up with the new vehicles

Bob