- Musclecar Enthusiast March 06 - the Jim Burek 350 porting article
- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: Ticking in 70 350

Ticking in 70 350

Hi there BuickV8 community, I'm having a issue with my 70 350 I recently rebuilt. There is a loud ticking when I'm driving and is quite will at idle. There is no tick upon start up or once warmed up just upon acceleration, oil pressure is at 40psi cold and 25psi hot drops to 10psi at lights when driven for awhile. Also put a booster plate on oil pump cover, motor broken in as well as primed prior. Headers are pretty beat up and flange is a little tweaked so not sure if that could be case. I don't wanna spend $400+ on a set of new headers right away because if that's not case that's $400+ that could go towards my 455 I'm going to build. Found to bad wires yesterday and replaced all wires plugs are good and gapped as well. So anyone have any ideas. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I think you answered your own question. "Headers" and "tweaked" were the giveaway clues to what is obviously an exhaust leak.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJohn55 View Post
    I think you answered your own question. "Headers" and "tweaked" were the giveaway clues to what is obviously an exhaust leak.
    Unfortunately cam lobe was wiped out and not a exhuast leak discovered this morning.

have you looked at the oil passage upgrades?

i believe that 70 is still the undersized 1/2" pickup, you can bolt on a 5/8" pickup from a mid-80s 231ci v6.

there's a lot more involved in oil system upgrades ( including the pump housing itself ) but the pickup is too easy not to do.

http://automachperf.com/350.html

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/cont...orting-article
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I did not know that i'll consider. Currently am debating on continuing on with 350 or putting my into my 70 SF code 455 I have on a stand motor is really clean so just going through options

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    have you looked at the oil passage upgrades?

i believe that 70 is still the undersized 1/2" pickup, you can bolt on a 5/8" pickup from a mid-80s 231ci v6.

there's a lot more involved in oil system upgrades ( including the pump housing itself ) but the pickup is too easy not to do.

http://automachperf.com/350.html

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/cont...orting-article
    I did not know that i'll consider. Currently am debating on continuing on with 350 or putting my into my 70 SF code 455 I have on a stand motor is really clean so just going through options

i doubt a new cam lobe getting wiped was an "oiling system" problem anyways. i'm primarily talking about the oiling systems due to them being such a common upgrade on Buick engines.

that sounds more like modern oils lack of zinc break in problems. did you make sure to use break in lube on the cam? talk to the cam company, they might have some suggestions.

a Buick 455 will have almost all of the same issues although the specifics of some of the fixes are a bit different due to the 455 being a larger architecture than the small block / v6 design. it's not really a problem for street use but if you intend to race or thrash the car i would definitely give the oiling upgrades a serious look.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

i doubt a new cam lobe getting wiped was an "oiling system" problem anyways. i'm primarily talking about the oiling systems due to them being such a common upgrade on Buick engines.

that sounds more like modern oils lack of zinc break in problems. did you make sure to use break in lube on the cam? talk to the cam company, they might have some suggestions.

a Buick 455 will have almost all of the same issues although the specifics of some of the fixes are a bit different due to the 455 being a larger architecture than the small block / v6 design. it's not really a problem for street use but if you intend to race or thrash the car i would definitely give the oiling upgrades a serious look.
    During break in oil psi dropped to 0 for about a minute or two went and bought booster plate put on right away before going any further. Pressure held steady after. Gonna measure my 290-94H cam and if still good gonna order new lifters and put it back in and break in again. Just gotta clean out metal shavings now

here's how to check a Buick oil pump for wear:
    http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/oilpumpwear.htm
    Vladimir Lenin

here's how to check a Buick oil pump for wear:
    http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/oilpumpwear.htm
    Turns out cam is ok lifter collapsed completely I am replacing.