Thread: Need upholstery for a '49 Buick Super Series 50 sedanette

Need upholstery for a '49 Buick Super Series 50 sedanette

Hi folks. Trying to find some seat upholstery and door cards for my '49 Buick Super Series 50 sedanette. My local upholsterer will make some up, but it would be very expensive. A US supplier (Le Baron Bonney) said they don't have the seat pattern for my car, but they do have them for the following '49 Buicks:
    Roadmaster 4DR Model 71
    Super 4DR Model 51
    Roadmaster Convertible Sedan Model 76C
    Super Convertible Sedan Model 56CRoadmaster 4DR Model 71

Aside from the different door cards, would any of these vehicles have matching seats to a '49 Super sedanette?

Or would anyone recommend a supplier?

Cheers,

Lloyd

Try SMS. I believe they have patterns & the correct material for just about ANYTHING.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Upholstery

I have dealt with SMS for many years, and they do have lots of materials, both original and reproduction; however, when dealing with wool reproduction materials, they buy from LeBaron Bonney and then resell the material to folks like you. If you can get the material from LeBaron Bonney, you can take the seats you have to a local upholstery shop and have them make the seat upholstery to fit your seats. There is no reason for you to buy a ready made kit for your project. The seat style you have is relatively easy to sew up and should not cost you much to have it done.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Upholstery

FYI, SMS is a great supplier of original NOS materials, but they do not sew seat upholstery, nor do they have patterns for seat upholstery. If you are looking for ready made seat upholstery, all sewn up and ready to install, SMS is not the place to call.They do, however, make door panels for many cars, and do an excellent job.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Hi Ron,

LeBaron Bonney and SMS can't help, except for material, so it looks like I'll have to have the seat covers made up. Very expensive!!

Thanks for trying to help.

Cheers,

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd.
    You may want to try Texas Auto Upholstery. Emelio worked for me when I was producing auto upholstery kits, and he is very competent. This is how he works: you would need to remove the seat upholstery from the seat frames, fold them up and send them to him. He lives in Vancouver, WA (just north of Portland, OR), as do I. If you like, I can go over to his shop and help him make the patterns, although I think he is very good at that as well. He will make patterns from your original upholstery and then sew up the new upholstery and send it back to you. Installing the new upholstery is relatively simple, and either Emelio or myself can email you the instructions. If you run into any issues with installing the new upholstery, you can call me and I will walk you through any rough spots. You can call as many times as you like.
    If you send the material number from LeBaron Bonney, Emelio can measure the precise amount to buy and even order it for your from them. That way you will save on shipping, as you won't have to ship twice.
    The phone number for Texas Auto Upholstery is 360-771-3565.
    If you need additional help or information, feel free to call me (or text) at 360-608-4443.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm sure Emelio would do a great job. I've decided to use a local auto trimmer that I've used a few times before. He reupholstered my '59 Dodge 2dr HT in OEM fabric from SMS. He's very skilled and I know he'll do a good job. It also saves on the two postage costs. He will also have the seats to fit directly to. He will also make up new door cards for me. Unfortunately it is an expensive option, but being local, I'll be able to keep an eye on things.

Cheers,

Lloyd