Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1952 Buick Special 4 door

1952 Buick Special 4 door

Hello, Gordon Crowe here a newbie to the group and to old Buicks. Just picked up a 53 Special 4 door and want to d some minor things to it. Lower it, change to 12 volt for stereo system. It needs some small items but is a pretty complete running and driving car. I hate to think about getting about getting out smarted by a old car but need your wisdom !!! Will post some pics soon. Thanks

welcome. there are many threads that attack what you are looking for. where ya from? pix?
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Sweet, thanks for the quick reply. No computer wiz but I have some pics. I up loaded the pics and not sure where they went !! I have a pretty good transmission leak going on now and ordered a seal kit and the ball seal kit. The reason I bought it was it was so complete and not messed with. All the turn signals work, head lights. The typical stuff is bad , rubbers, door seals. there is minimal rust on the body but the floor pans are toast so in a year or 2 I will do floor pans. We ( Carol is my wife and car parts sponser ) are located in Canton Ohio. I guess my vision is to keep it pretty much stock, straight 8,dynaflow lower it and a good sound system and cruise the wheels off it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks good. and a good plan. I opted to bag mine and convert to 12V. stock drivetrain. I have not ordered from these guys but it looks good for floors. http://www.classicfabrication.com/
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    looks good. and a good plan. I opted to bag mine and convert to 12V. stock drivetrain. I have not ordered from these guys but it looks good for floors. http://www.classicfabrication.com/
    What is involved in the switch to 12 volts ? I know an alternator but what else. Is there an alternative to bagging it? I also build drag cars and not looking for a big project. Thanks Long

the vast majority of the 6v system should already be overgauged for a 12v system due to the power law ( Power == Voltage * Current ) which means that to deliver the same power to a component, when you double the voltage you will either halve the current OR increase power into the component.

major considerations are likely to be
    light bulbs, which will probably burn out rather quickly unless converted to 12v
    windshield wipers, which will probably sweep too fast

the car stereo is one of the few subsystems which you will want to run new, larger gauge power wires for. OEM radio was probably <15 watts. you can't hardly buy a modern stereo under 100watt total speaker output, and you may want to run more than that.

several of the straight 8 guys have said that their 6v starters have been working fine. the faster an electric motor turns, the less current it pulls, max current draw ( and torque ) is at 0 rpm. on 12v, a 6 volt motor is going to spin REALLY fast ... which means that it's probably not pulling much more power than it was on 6v?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    the vast majority of the 6v system should already be overgauged for a 12v system due to the power law ( Power == Voltage * Current ) which means that to deliver the same power to a component, when you double the voltage you will either halve the current OR increase power into the component.

major considerations are likely to be
    light bulbs, which will probably burn out rather quickly unless converted to 12v
    windshield wipers, which will probably sweep too fast

the car stereo is one of the few subsystems which you will want to run new, larger gauge power wires for. OEM radio was probably <15 watts. you can't hardly buy a modern stereo under 100watt total speaker output, and you may want to run more than that.

several of the straight 8 guys have said that their 6v starters have been working fine. the faster an electric motor turns, the less current it pulls, max current draw ( and torque ) is at 0 rpm. on 12v, a 6 volt motor is going to spin REALLY fast ... which means that it's probably not pulling much more power than it was on 6v?
    Thanks Bob, A lot of good information. A bit weird seeing glass tube fuses again. I didn't think to look for a spot to jump off for the tunes. Is there a stereo that fits the stock dash? Started to get some parts today, shim kit for the torque tube and seal ( how does that work ) . Where do most of you guys get your parts at ? I got a trans. seal and gasket set and the torque tube seal and grommet. It needs all new rubbers, motor mounts, trans mount. When I have it up on jack stands to do the trans seals I'd like to lower it, any ideas on that? I see FATMAN makes lowered up rights. Thanks up front for all the help.

"...windshield wipers, which will probably sweep too fast."

You don't have to worry about the wipers; they're vacuum operated.

Although I have one of these things, I have never used one. They were for 12volt radios in 6 volt cars:
    Click Here for 6-12 volt converter

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

there is a shop manual available here up in the Reference tab. order parts trough Bob's Automobilia. or Cars inc. egge. I converted to 12v. added a gm 10si. bypassed carb start switch. replaced starter relay and figured which wires go where. converted to electronic ignition with pertronics 12v module. 12v coil. then replace all bulbs. I also have a resistor in line for the fuel gauge. and a resistor with heatsink for the blower motor for defrost.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC