- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: How do I start my 1947 Buick?

How do I start my 1947 Buick?

I have a 1947 Buick Special Series 40 Sedanette with a 248. I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration. Well the body is back on the frame and the engine is in. The original engine had to be swapped with a 248 from a 1950 Buick (model unknown - engine #1338020-7). I am starting to wire the car and here in lies the problem.
    All the literature for the 47 says that to start the car you must switch on the ignition and step on the starter pedal. When I got the car it didn't have a starter pedal or a starter. The 1950 engine's starter doesn't have provisions for a starter pedal. So I guess my question is do I need an ignition switch for a 50 Buick or can I still use the switch from the 47? And, as far as the wiring of the ignition, I should follow the 1950 wiring diagram I'm assuming?

Should the ignition switch from the 1950 Buick spring back like modern day cars once the engine has started? Confused.

Pete

start my 1947

Pete, if you have a 1950 248 engine, it is from a Special which is a series 40.
    The '47 and '50 starting system should be the same. There is no starter pedal. The accelerator pedal is the defacto starter pedal . The starter "button" is a switch mounted on the carb. When the switch is pressed down, opening the throttle a little at the carb, the switch on the carb is activated, sending power to the starter relay, [ on the '50 mounted on the starter solenoid which is mounted on the starting motor] which closes a set of points sending power from the battery to the solenoid to the starting motor.

The ignition switch, in the dash, sends power to the starting switch on the carb, as well as to the coil. After the engine starts, the carb switch is "opened" by vacuum from the carb. The ignition switch does not spring back, as do switches that are taking the place of the carb starter switch.

You can wire it as the '47 was, I believe. Probably the same as a '50.

Do you have a shop manual? Worth it's weight in gold. It will have a wiring diagram. Again, probably little difference from '47 to '50.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I do have the manuals and the wiring diagrams. I will be using both the 47 and 50 diagrams to wire the car because the 47 diagram doesn't show the defroster or heater motor wiring and the 50 does. The 50 diagram also has a more detailed ignition diagram showing exactly what you explained. Thanks again.
    Pete

Starting my '47

Glad I could help, Pete.

Ben