Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 1956 Buick Century Project

'56 engine tear down

I thought those LS engines ran FOREVER.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    I thought those LS engines ran FOREVER.

Ben

Nothing lasts forever, but from my experience the factory bottom ends on these handle more power than most anything else. Not even the mighty LS engines can hold up to detonation though

Well it was a little worse than I thought. It would seem I had some detonation issues. The crazy thing is, after this damage was done I still drove it from Las vegas up the coast to washington just fine. And it was running and driving this week still making good power.

Three different cylinders had issues: one piston with a sizable chunk missing, one piston with damage to the ring lands, and another rod bearing was getting chewed up. I doubt it would have taken long for that to turn into a knock or a thrown rod!

The heads look ok. The cylinder walls look worse in the picture than in person, but worst case it will need resleeved and thats not too difficult or expensive. the crankshaft will probably just need polished.

Working on cleaning up some wiring and underwood stuff. When i put this together, I was under a tight timeline. Its all worked well, but the wiring wasn't too pretty.

Also got my pistons and other rebuild parts ordered. Going all forged this time!

Got a lot more cleaning in the engine bay done. Re did a lot of work on the wiring harnesses to get rid of all butt connectors, and tidy it all up. Should be getting the engine back from the machine shop shortly. With some luck I can assemble it this weekend!

' 56 century

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    Got a lot more cleaning in the engine bay done. Re did a lot of work on the wiring harnesses to get rid of all butt connectors, and tidy it all up. Should be getting the engine back from the machine shop shortly. With some luck I can assemble it this weekend!

You make it sound so EASY!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    You make it sound so EASY!

Ben
    Mind over matter! Anyone can do it with enough patience. Most of what I have learned is from other online forums and making plenty of my own mistakes.

Progress on the new engine has been pretty slow. I plastic-gauged my main bearings, got the crank in so far

Got the pistons and rods installed!

Getting closer! its not finalized, the intake is just sitting there in that last picture.