From the Reference Section:
- Musclecar Enthusiast March 06 - the Jim Burek 350 porting article
- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: Kenne Bell MKC118 cam455cui camshaft in 350?

Kenne Bell MKC118 cam455cui camshaft in 350?

Hi all,

I'm new here from the hellhole of the world Belgium
    Recently I got a '65 Riviera with a 350 block installed. From casting numbers and stamping I've narrowed it down to a 1970 4bbl SB code, so the 285hp/9:1 compression ratio version.
    I'm looking to do a few upgrades and came across a used MKC118 cam locally intended for a 400-455 block.

But in the following article under point 12, they mention this Kenne bell part No. for the 350
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...0_ken_bell.php

Does it mean the 455 cam will work in my block? Or what is different? Cam overall length, bearing diameters,...?
    Or is KB Mark C118 Cam just the name of the grind?

Yesterday I've already scored a new, unused MSD ready-to-run 8552 distributor and blaster coil for 150€/171$ (that should work after changing the gear)

Anyone that could provide some info?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave82 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new here from the hellhole of the world Belgium
    Recently I got a '65 Riviera with a 350 block installed. From casting numbers and stamping I've narrowed it down to a 1970 4bbl SB code, so the 285hp/9:1 compression ratio version.
    I'm looking to do a few upgrades and came across a used MKC118 cam locally intended for a 400-455 block.

But in the following article under point 12, they mention this Kenne bell part No. for the 350
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...0_ken_bell.php

Does it mean the 455 cam will work in my block? Or what is different? Cam overall length, bearing diameters,...?
    Or is KB Mark C118 Cam just the name of the grind?

Yesterday I've already scored a new, unused MSD ready-to-run 8552 distributor and blaster coil for 150€/171$ (that should work after changing the gear)

Anyone that could provide some info?
    BBB 455 camshafts have an integral gear to drive the distributor, SBB 350 cams have a replaceable distributor gear. You can't use a 455 cam in the 350.
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

So the distributor gear is different.
    I have a distributor that fits the 455. Even when putting 455 cam and 455 distributor together on the 350 it won't work?

Timing chain setups are also different between the engines: 455 cam gear bolts to the cam on either side while the 350 cam gear slides on a keyway in the cam followed by the distributor gear all held together with a center bolt through the cam.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

the 455 has wider bore spacing ( 4.750" vs 4.240" ) and a longer block than the 350.

all this talk about distributors and timing chains is interesting and all, but that cam is never going to physically line up on the bearings or be properly centered under the lifters.

another thing to keep an eye out for is that even though the 350 is the last v8 representative of the Buick small block family, it changes valve order from the previous generations and so you can't use Land Rover 3.5L-4.6L style cams either.

any Land Rover engine guru would be a good choice to work on the motor though. once he gets past the surprise of a cast iron block and heads, he'll be right at home. you can even use a Land Rover timing cover, so long as it has provisions for a distributor.

KB Mark C118 Cam just the name of the grind?

it's the name of the grind and defines a certain duration / lift / lobe separation recipe. it could be ground for any number of different engine types. if you wanted to get REALLY trick, you could have them grind it for a 4 / 7 firing order swap.

i wouldn't bother though, there's been a lot of development in cam grinding since the 1970s. just call TA or Crower or somebody and tell them what you're doing. they'll mix one up for your expected driving and engine build.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)