Thread: Best Radiator

Best Radiator

Need a new radiator but don't know what would be best. I've found all aluminum and aluminum with plastic tanks. The plastic tank ones are less expensive but will they cool as good as the all aluminum? My engine is a small ci (231) but I need to keep it as cool as possible. I have a 160 degree thermostat and would like a 2 row with auto trans. Any thought on this?
    1979 TRegal

Stay aluminum tanks. Minimum 2 rows 1" tubes. 2 rows 1 1/4" tubes is better but more costly.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Stay aluminum tanks. Minimum 2 rows 1" tubes. 2 rows 1 1/4" tubes is better but more costly.
    I haven't seen any of the 1 1/4" tube but have found several places with the 2-1. I think that will work pretty good for what I have in mind and is an improvement over he original. Thanks!
    1979 TRegal

I don't know about your car, but Griffin Radiator offer 1.25" tubes. I am planning on purchasing an OE one this spring, I wonder if they would be open to a group purchase? Any interest?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I don't know about your car, but Griffin Radiator offer 1.25" tubes. I am planning on purchasing an OE one this spring, I wonder if they would be open to a group purchase? Any interest?
    Since my last post here I have found a bunch of 1.25 tube radiators. My problem now is how to measure the thing. Do I measure it with the end tanks included or just the core area? On my car it appears that I can put one up to 3 inches thick as long as it isn't over 18 3/4 inches high in the core area. The tanks would have to be within that 3" to fit in the lower hanger. The length I would want is 31 1/2" so I could use my upper and lower hoses. These measurements include the tanks in them.In a group purchase would they have to all be the same size radiators or is mix and match OK? How many would we have to get to receive a discount? I'm all for lower prices! My OE is a single row w/trans. I could go for the 2 row 1.25 tube w/trans, all aluminum at a good price.
    1979 TRegal

Ya might wanna research options other than Griffin. While in the past , they were the radiator to go with. Not so much anymore, check online reviews. Newer Griffins have a high failure rate. Jim

Tapatalk User

I don't know anything about Griffin but in my looking around I have found that some of the makers out there pass off 3/4 inch for 1 inch. That's to say a double row 1 inch is really only 1.5 total. Haven't bought one yet and my single row OEM is keeping the car at about 180 with a 160 thermostat. Once my other problems are taken care of I'll go back to looking lol.
    1979 TRegal

Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Blaine View Post
    Need a new radiator but don't know what would be best. I've found all aluminum and aluminum with plastic tanks. The plastic tank ones are less expensive but will they cool as good as the all aluminum? My engine is a small ci (231) but I need to keep it as cool as possible. I have a 160 degree thermostat and would like a 2 row with auto trans. Any thought on this?

Do you have an original that can be recored? I have had great results doing that. I regularly run my buick in 100+ degree weather and get stuck in traffic without the temp gauge flinching. Your fans are much more important than your radiator material and size. If you go electric fans don't go cheap.

That being said, plastic tank radiators work just fine and weigh half as much as an original. When's the last time your modern car overheard? but it's still a headache to find an aftermarket radiator and properly mount it.

Go as big an area as you can and as thick as you can. Bigger is better with radiators. You may decide to go with AC some day!