Thread: Chevy Flywheel on a 455?

Chevy Flywheel on a 455?

I had a Hays Dana steel 30 labs flywheel for a Chev and thought I would like that quality in my car rather than the OE cast iron one. It required drilling for the crankshaft bolt pattern and balancing.

I checked the balance of several 455 ring gears and found them to be about -112 at 3, -114 at 4, and -111 at 5 using an adjustment radius of 6.75". For 0 I used a line through two bolt holes running through the center of the weight. This put the out of place hole to the left with the weight up. You can almost see the layout lines in one picture.

The final hole size was cut with a 1" end mill and is about 4 7/8" long and about .182 deep.

I know nobody in their right mind is going to do this, but if they do and find this bit of info, it will help
    Attached Images Attached Images

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I know nobody in their right mind

ya gots ta be a bit off kilter to be building 50 year old Buicks when you could just get an LS out of a junk yard.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I would agree!

But then what would you expect from an old guy?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!