- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 worth rebuilding?

if you do wind up going the rebuilding route, TA Performance has a Rover style head which would fit your engine.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

300 heads

Thanks for the info, not much out there to upgrade the wildcat 310 but I wouldn't mind keeping it if it was a bit more lively

almost anything that can be done performance wise to a Rover v8 can be done to the Buick 300.

they are the same basic architecture ( the Rover being the 3.5L+ metric version of the original 1961-63 Buick small block 215ci ) with the primary differences being that the 300 has a cast iron block and slightly taller deck vs the Rover being all aluminum like the 215 was. Rover was in production up to 2004, the last Buick small block was the 350ci which ended production in 1981.

you can't use top end stuff from the Buick 350 because the int / exh valve order was changed at the introduction of the sbb 350 in 1968. timing covers and distributors still swap though.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

350 Crate Engine Work?

I see a 350 Buick will slip in, but will a new 350 crate engine also work for a 1964 Buick Special and hook up to my Super Turbine 300 2-Speed Tranny? I just can't handle my ODD fire V6 any longer.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

the 1961-63 215ci and Land Rover v8s use their own specific bell pattern.

the 1964+ small block v8s and 90* v6 Buicks all use the BOPC 'standard' bell housing. when going to a different brand BOP ( like Pontiac ) you have to watch out for the starter being on the 'wrong' side of the bell, but all the Buick engines use the same starter and throwout locations.

another alternative would be the 1980s even fire Turbo 6.
    Vladimir Lenin

BOPC Pattern on Buick 300

Thanks for the reply. To be sure I understand, if I can't find a Buick 300 to rebuild, the bell housing for my Super Turbine 300 which you are saying should have a BOPC pattern will bolt up to a new Chevy 350 crate engine? I'm trying t build a driver, and would rather stay with a Buick 300, but they are hard to find. The only one I found so far had a cracked block...

should have a BOPC pattern will bolt up to a new Chevy 350 crate engine?

no, the Chevy pattern is different from the BOPC pattern. which is also different from the 215ci and Nailhead patterns ... which are also different from each other.

the BOPC and Chevy patterns ONLY share the bottom two holes + the alignment dowels, which is how you get a "Dual Pattern Bell". the upper four holes are duplicated on the transmission bell, which is how a dual pattern trans ( usually a 200r4 ) can bolt up to either style engine bell.

we have a reference page on this:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_automatic.php

when you said "crate 350" i thought you meant a Buick 350, you will see those advertised sometimes.
    Vladimir Lenin