- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 1975 buick 455 engine

1975 buick 455 engine

Hello guys. I have a 1975 buick 455 engine and has low power ( 215 hp ) and I want to restore and upgrade it. I was thinking of replacing the heads with 1969 ones (more compression ) and replacing the intake manifold with edelbrock performer intake and replace the qjet carburator with edelbrock 750 cfm carb. Do these edelbrock parts work well with the heads and the engine ? What are your thoughts? My goal is to reach 370-400 hp with this engine. So what should I do to reach my goal? And what parts should be updraded or changed? Any suggestions in the parts brand will be welcomed.
    Thank you.

Thumbs down

Earlier heads will help.
    performer intake is an OK choice. Dual plane. I got 500hp out of one with a Qjet on a 455.
    A Buick Quadrajet would perform much better than an edelbrock 750. They tend to be very difficult to tune for the 455 and have a reverse fuel curve, which can become dangerously lean. The 75 quadrajet isnt a good one to built, but 76 to 79 would work well if built right. check out my website. I have a 76 available now.
    Not sure of your budget, but a cam change would help.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Quote Originally Posted by carmantx View Post
    Earlier heads will help.
    performer intake is an OK choice. Dual plane. I got 500hp out of one with a Qjet on a 455.
    A Buick Quadrajet would perform much better than an edelbrock 750. They tend to be very difficult to tune for the 455 and have a reverse fuel curve, which can become dangerously lean. The 75 quadrajet isnt a good one to built, but 76 to 79 would work well if built right. check out my website. I have a 76 available now.
    Not sure of your budget, but a cam change would help.
    Would a early 70s quadrajet be ok with the early 70s heads and the performer intake? Or 76-79 quadrajet is preferable?

71-74 Buick 455 quadrajets were rated at 800 cfm. They are divorced choke style, meaning the choke coil element was mounted in the intake and connected to the carb with a rod. An aftermarket intake wont have the choke provision. If you run no choke, they are great carbs.
    I run a no choke 73 quadrajet on my 455.
    76-79 were "hot air" chokes with canister on side of carb. These can be converted to electric choke.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Oiling question for his head upgrade..

The B4B I picked up for my 73 455 has a pad to mount a coil onto for running the choke.
    And for his question on older heads, isn't there some cut off where they changed how rockers were oiled and some passages to worry about or is it newer heads on older blocks, I know one way you need to block off a port for proper oiling, 1 through pushrod, another through port on head... Someone should chime in and let you know for sure...

through block oiling to the rockers is 67-69.

you can use the early heads on the later blocks, because through the push rod oiling can work with any set up. the 75 engine block and gaskets should block the oiling holes in the early heads, although it never hurts JBWeld or otherwise block the passage in the head.

something else to keep in mind, the earlier engines use a narrower push rod, so you'll either need to use the rockers from the 75 or use adjustable pushrods with the early dia at the top.

water passages are also different shape on the later blocks, be careful of those. i don't have my bookmarks on this computer so do a search for "water passage" on the board, that should bring the reference up.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!