Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 51 Buick Special New Brake Shoes

51 Buick Special New Brake Shoes

Does anyone know of a good place to get new brake shoes for a 51 Buick Special? Is this something that has a new part crossover that can be bought at a local NAPA, PepBoys, etc... or is this a special order item from a specialty store? I want to do a brake job this weekend, and I want to make sure i have everything I need. From what I have been told vehicle has been sitting up for a while. I just picked it up last weekend and the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.
    Thanks

New Brake Shoes

Sometimes NAPA will surprise you. Why not give em a call?

I get most of my brake parts at NAPA
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

I called NAPA, it seems like unless you talk to the right person, they are completely useless. Their computer system doesn't go back that far, I experienced the same thing at O'Reily, but I went in and talked to a guy who pulled out a catalog and was able to pull up some info, but the brake pads the catalog called for where the wrong size. The catalog says it takes the 2 3/4 inch wide pads, but it actually takes the 1 3/4. This concerns me that everything these guys have at their reference may not be accurate. Does anyone have a good up to date part number on brake shoes for the 51 Special?

I'm in the same situation with my '53 Roadmaster. I did a lot of online searching and ran across rockauto.com. It looks like they have most of what I need for my '53, so I'm probably going to order what I need this week.
    I just checked on your 51 Special, and they do list them.

Quote Originally Posted by bwave View Post
    I called NAPA, it seems like unless you talk to the right person, they are completely useless. Their computer system doesn't go back that far, I experienced the same thing at O'Reily, but I went in and talked to a guy who pulled out a catalog and was able to pull up some info, but the brake pads the catalog called for where the wrong size. The catalog says it takes the 2 3/4 inch wide pads, but it actually takes the 1 3/4. This concerns me that everything these guys have at their reference may not be accurate. Does anyone have a good up to date part number on brake shoes for the 51 Special?
    I checked on several parts houses and the ones I found listed Buick special shoes at 2.25" wide, which is not the Special size. Best to make sure about the width. Anybody have an interchange list?

Brake shoes

The 1952 through 1956 Buick Roadmaster front shoes are 2 1/2 ". They are the same as 1961 through 1968 Cadillac front shoes.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

I've heard you can swap Roadmaster brakes (drums, and shoes) over to a Special. Not sure if you need the backing plates and wheel cylinders as well.
    I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    There's no nookie like chinookie
    No butts like halibuts
    Fish are not our friends, they're food.
    Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Life is sexually transmitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Airy Cat View Post
    The 1952 through 1956 Buick Roadmaster front shoes are 2 1/2 ". They are the same as 1961 through 1968 Cadillac front shoes.

Ahhh good info, I was looking for interchange on the 2.5"shoes.
    sorry off topic,1951 Special, frontbrake shoes are 1, 3/4" wide, [per Motor,s Manual] check with Bob,s automobilia, only parts place I found that had the right size, [Bobs a good buick guy].

http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/cgi-b...ml/product=881
    Last edited by 39CENT; 05-21-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Brakes shoes

I bought some really nice turned drums for my 53 Buick Special but turned out they are like a 1/2" too wide. Now I have to find new ones again and sell these on evilBay.

I already changed the wheel cylinders and brake line for the rear. Time to work on the fronts.

RSS