Thread: GS Chassis Question

Question GS Chassis Question

Hello all,

I need to settle a minor dispute with my build partner on our 1966 GS convertibles.

I know I read it somewhere that the frames/chassis for ALL GS's were the same as those used on the Skylark convertibles and not the hardtop Skylarks, but I can't find it for the life of me.

As usual, any/all info is appreciated.

Regards,

Dave Stansbury

Dave,

I can't tell you where to find it in the literature this morning, but, in varying states of repair, I have a 65, 66 and 67 GS Skylark. The 66 is a convertible, but they all share the same boxed frame. I have also had more then a few 67 skylarks hard tops: all with the C channel frame without boxing. So you are correct, but I can't tell you where to find it written by an authority other then myself.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

For 1967, I understood that the GS400, Skylark and Special convertibles, and Station wagon shared the same boxed frame, the GS 340 had an open frame like the Special and Skylark Hardtops and 4 doors. I would expect the same rule to be consistent with earlier models with the GS400 option.

Having said that, there is a part number for the Convertible and GS Less ST400, another for them with ST400, and another for the Sportwagon with ST400, and another for the Sportwagon without ST400. These may only be very minor differences.

The service manual shows the two frames, but does not make reference to the Convertible or GS400 with the boxed frame.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/20-a.php

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for backup!

Thank you Doctor!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenbuick View Post
    Dave,

I can't tell you where to find it in the literature this morning, but, in varying states of repair, I have a 65, 66 and 67 GS Skylark. The 66 is a convertible, but they all share the same boxed frame. I have also had more then a few 67 skylarks hard tops: all with the C channel frame without boxing. So you are correct, but I can't tell you where to find it written by an authority other then myself.

Thanks for backup!

Thank you, Bob!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    For 1967, I understood that the GS400, Skylark and Special convertibles, and Station wagon shared the same boxed frame, the GS 340 had an open frame like the Special and Skylark Hardtops and 4 doors. I would expect the same rule to be consistent with earlier models with the GS400 option.

Having said that, there is a part number for the Convertible and GS Less ST400, another for them with ST400, and another for the Sportwagon with ST400, and another for the Sportwagon without ST400. These may only be very minor differences.

The service manual shows the two frames, but does not make reference to the Convertible or GS400 with the boxed frame.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/20-a.php