Thread: Hello from San Diego

Hello from San Diego

Hi All,

I am embarking on a 1952 buick roadmaster restore. It has a straight 8 320ci plus a 3 speed dynaflow automatic transmission.

The engine is still in the car, as is the trans. I have the top, front and pan of the engine off. All of the accessories are off, and I am inspecting the engine. Everything looks great, actually. But, when I put a bar on the front pulley nut, the engine turnes freely for about 1/4 of a turn and hits a "stop". It goes back the same amount the other direction. The block is just a block, with a crank and a cam and 8 pistons. The head is off, etc. It _is_ connected to the trans, could that be causing the "stop"? The trans is in Park, as best I can tell, meaning the shift linkage is disconnected from the steering wheel, but if you rock the car it doesn't roll.

Not sure how much I need to take apart before realizing this is some normal behavior.

Thanks for your input!
    dan

Hello from San Diego

Is there any significant rust on the cylinder walls?
    Do all of the pistons move up or down when you move the crank back and forth?

The transmission (which is a 2 speed by the way) shouldn't stop the engine from turning at all, just the rear tires.

I would look for a broken connecting rod or perhaps pull the dust cover off of the bell housing and look in there for something loose. I saw a oil pump on a ford transmission once that broke and made the engine difficult to turn over, but thats not common. Since you have the oil pan off, maybe take a flash light and look in there for anything out of place.

keep us updated, and feel free to post some pictures of your car

When you put an early DynaFlow into Drive (D), it smoothly (and slowly ) accelerates but does not change gears. There is also a Low (L) range, used for faster take-offs and low traction situtions. However, NEVER start off in Low and shift into Drive at speeds greater than 35-40 MPH. The transmission tries to go into both gears at the same time. My dad, who tried that in his new 1950 Super, had to have the transmission rebuilt.