-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: where to hook to?

where to hook to?

Well time to pull out my 248 and was wondering where is best to hook up chains ?was thinking intake manifold but not sure if it s strong enough?I have a really bad rear main seal and want to get engine pulled before I get a new knee on Jan 25th another question can I pull just the motor or do I need to pull tranny too?first timer here so any tricks will be appretiated!!Thanks

dealbud, if the ONLY reason you are pulling the engine is due to the rear main seal, it is not necessary. There are ways to do it with the engine in place.

If I was pulling the engine, I would leave the tranny in place, due to the length. I would hook the chain, using " L " brackets, to head bolts at opposite front/back corners. Furthermore, if I was going to disassemble the engine, I would probably remove the head.

What car is it in??

Ben

Its a 49 super 50 series 248 .I want to go over the whole engine and maybe beef it up a bit .all new gaskets and paint her up ,then switch out dyno flo for a th350 and open drive line .I really want to keep it st 8 and stock looking under the hood.I just want a cruzer I can drive any where

I found a two piece modern seal to replace the rope seal on my '52 263 straight eight. Since you are short on time, I would recommend just dropping the pan and removing the rear main bearing, pulling out the rope seal and sliding in a modern two piece seal. These cars are built to remove the oil pan without pulling the engine. My front cross-member even has holes in it to access the front pan bolts! I am not sure about the crank shaft on a 248 being the same size of main bearing on a 263. Someone with more experience can chime in. I wish you success with your knee. I can not think of any better therapy than getting in to your Buick when you get home from the operation and putting a couple hundred miles on it. Better yet ride home from the operation in it. Good luck!

Hey ,thanks for the well wishes and info .Im pulling the 248 out so I can hop her up a little and make her pretty (right now looks like she drove through a oil field lol) I found a tranny adapter kit at bernstines and have a th350 laying in garage .Was looking into hot rods from hell rear trialing arm kit.open driveline here I come .maybe a fatmans frame stub for front(got wildwood discs on her now and duel master)wellgotta hi the garage or a few hours.thnks agian

I have pulled the head on mine both times the engine has been out. then hooked leveler up to head bolt locations. pulled once with dflow hooked up and the last time engine only. should use lifting links, but I kept leaving them at work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC