- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: exhaust pipe seals or donuts

exhaust pipe seals or donuts

looking for information on exhaust donuts. none came with the car when I got it. Ends of ex manifolds are rounded and ex pipe is flared. Is there a donut or gasket that seals the system together. Where can I get em ?

Measure the diameter of the hole in the exhaust manifold. Go to a NAPA store and describe what you need. They will hand you the right one and not even need to know the color of your car.

NO ….. If you have the factory header and exhaust pipe setup there are no donuts in the entire system. This was Buick's footprint. Ball and Bell Sleeve mating surfaces. Where the stock headers end and go into the main front full size mufflers the pipe coming out of the muffler has a flared rounded ball end. Slung over that is a plate bracket that will bolt onto the end face of the header. The photos as seen here should give you a pretty good idea of what is correct and how they look and attach. The one photo shows the factory correct muffler component layout complete with final bumper resonator. These photos are correct for the 1957 & 1958 Buicks 364. - Hope this helps out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

Exhaust Pipe Seals or Donuts

A little late to the party but I am a newbie ....
    Although the cup and ball was used, I remember back in High School a couple guys with nailheads had exhaust pipe leaks at the joint where the cup and ball meet. One guy with a 60-61 364 used some high temp sealer, probably an asbestos substance back in the day, and used on the cup portion, bolted it together and the leaks went away. Now, many years later, here I am building a 364 for my hot rod and low and behold there is some kind of sealer on the cup side of my one exhaust pipe. Don't know what might be available today to do the same thing though but I am thinking that if the two do not meet just right, at some point there will be a leak?

You may need a donut IF your passenger's side exhaust manifold originally had a 'bolt on' heat riser. If it did and someone discarded that heat riser, you'll need a donut. The original heat riser had the ball on the bottom that connected to the bell seat on your exhaust pipe.
    You might also find that if that heat riser is gone, your exhaust pipe might be too short.

Ed