- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Company that makes SP400 reverse shift pattern valve bodies without being manual?

Company that makes SP400 reverse shift pattern valve bodies without being manual?

Hey guys...... I'm trying to find a company that produces reverse shift pattern valve bodies for the switch pitch 400 turbo transmission in my Buick but I don't want it to be a manual valve body... Does anyone know of a company that makes such a thing? I've done a little research and can't find anything.. I just don't want to lose the luxury of being able to drive my car around like a daily driver.......

Thanks in advance

Mike

I also want to keep it column shift.....I like the look and like the room it gives me with the 50/50 bench....Any suggestions? I realize this will more than likely put 3rd gear down by my knees but still better than popping neutral or reverse at 6 grand.....For the life of me I cannot find a company that makes a NON manual reverse shift pattern valve body for any 400....

Thanks guys

Mike

No one that I know of or have EVER heard about. You could take your column apart & modify it so it WILL NOT go into neutral.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

There are aftermarket shifter/cable combinations for the floor that ratchet though the gears and will not go into neutral without pulling up a leaver. This is what I have for the race car. The column was removed for one that gets around the headers better and I don't need turn signals or a horn anymore.

Years ago I had ATI rebuild my trans as an auto/manual in the regular pattern. It was automatic when put in drive, but would not shift out of low 1 or Low 2 until moved out them if selected. I had thousands of runs down the quarter this way bumped off the column. I never once hit neutral or even missed a gear. you get so attuned to it after a while, that a mistake becomes almost impossible.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Mike, I was thinking about this some more and remembered I had a 6500 rpm rev limiter chip in my MSD. That was another reason I was not worried about a missed shift. That engine shifted at 6200-6400 rpm and had run to 6700 in the past. That made it a lot easier to be cavalier about missed shifts.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo

I wish I could make power up around 6,500 Steve......6,000 seems to be her limit at this point.......and Tom...... I never even thought about modifying the column........If I could just put a larger reverse/neutral stop in there or something. ......How are the redesigned roller rockers coming along?.....My $$$$$ Is saved up just waiting for em, then hopefully send the heads off to Mike

Mike,

I supposed to have some prototypes by mid spring & IF everything is OK production will commence late spring.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Company that makes SP400 reverse shift pattern valve bodies without being man...

Quote Originally Posted by 66 buick guy View Post
    I wish I could make power up around 6,500 Steve.
    Well, that was a girdled 455 with Gessler competition ported iron heads, 13:1 compression and a TA 608 cam. The stock rods were scaring me at that RPM. So, I advanced the cam 4* and got some aftermarket rods. Then it no longer made power above 6400 and I was happy not to turn it any faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo