- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynaflow drum turning to clean up wear grooves. Is it standard practice?

… good to hear you roughed it out and got the transmission done properly. I would give Russell a call at Grass Valley Auto in Grass Valley, CA. He is also known as the go to guy for all nailhead matters, stock parts, speed parts and setups and advice ….
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

and got sad results of around
    10 in.Hg , to go and get further depressed I took compression reading (two different gauges) and got around 68psi average! Book says 120psi min!

you're sad now, but i bet you have a big silly grin on your face when you're leaving black stripes on the pavement.

seriously though, if the car has been sitting since the 70s you've probably got rust in the piston rings and possibly the valves.

it would be a good idea to throw new rings / gaskets / bearings / rubbers and seals at the engine and maybe hone the cylinders.

also check valve spring strength. if they've been sitting for 40 years, a lot of those valve springs are going to have been in the same position of partial or full compression for all that time, will probably be weak.

also, check the water pump. you can get electrolysis decomposition of the aluminum pump housing because the block is cast iron. if you wind up with an overheating problem, that and the thermostat would be the first things i check.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob,
    I'm terribly sorry for not mentioning that I had rebuilt the engine myself. ( I try to build one every thirty years or so )
    I'm trying to backtrack an error I made in the engine rebuild. (low compression , low vacuum)
    I have started a new "thread" if that is what its called as asking a question in the Straight Eight Engine forum section.
    Now the question is how low compression was built into the engine? (By myself )
    Thank you for everyone who responded.
    If you have a Dynaflow I encourage you to give it a go and seriously consider doing the rebuild yourself, it can be done by an amateur mechanic.