Thread: Carpet 1956 super convertible

Carpet 1956 super convertible

Guys,

i'm restoring a 1956 super convertible. Currently I'm looking at carpet to buy. There is a lot of different types to be found on the internet, but i cannot find specific carpet for the convertible, only for 2 door and 2 door hardtop. Would that fit? And do you guys now which vendor is advisable?

are there also different types of carpet? I can find 20/80 Loop, or otherwise.... What is original for the car?

regards,
    david

stubbe

Hello Buickfriend.A Letter from Sweden.I have a 54 56c and also wonder of carpet.I
    think maybe they are the same for 2,doors,not 4 doors.maybe different for special
    century and model 100.I am not sure so your question is very intressed for me also.
    Keep the Nailheads still going,the sound is almoust like a "Tändkula" a old motor
    1 stroke at 2 second.Keep up the Buickfeeling Friend.

Correct carpet

The carpet for the convertible is the same as for the 2 door hardtop. It was a cut and sewn carpet originally, but there is a molded carpet available for it as well. Try Trim Parts in Ohio. (Used to be Ohio Auto Mat).
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Thanks! I have a choice of cut pile or loop. Anyone know what was original for the 56 super?
    second question, concerning the cardboard trim in the trunk. Again, many suppliërs for the 4 door and the 2 door hardtop, but none for the convertible.... I do not have a template... Can I find a template somewhere, or is it best to use the 2 door cardboard set?

Carpet kit

You can buy the carpet already molded or cut and sewn, with padding attached, ready to put in place and then just trim the edges and cut out for the seat track bolts. It is much easier than buying the carpet in a roll and patterning everything out yourself. The original carpet for your car was a loop carpet (not a cut pile), and the original style was cut and sewn rather than molded; however, the molded carpet is much easier to install than the cut and sewn carpet. I recommend that you read the installation instructions for both styles on this website and then decide which style you would like to use in your car.

The cardboard trunk panels were made of a coated cardboard that is available at most auto upholstery suppliers. It comes in large sheets, so it is best to get it from a local source due to shipping costs. It comes in a variety of colors so it can be coordinated with your car. You will need a van or truck to pick it up because of its size. It can be loosely rolled if you have a large trunk to transport it in.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by dbouwer View Post
    Thanks! I have a choice of cut pile or loop. Anyone know what was original for the 56 super?
    second question, concerning the cardboard trim in the trunk. Again, many suppliërs for the 4 door and the 2 door hardtop, but none for the convertible.... I do not have a template... Can I find a template somewhere, or is it best to use the 2 door cardboard set?
    If you can find a precut trunk set for a 2 door hardtop, the majority of that set will fit your convertible. You may have to trim down the area under the well for the convertible top, as that area was narrower to accommodate the top pistons and frame.
    Best Regards,
    Ron