- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 200R4 transmission swap

200R4 transmission swap

i have been reading up on this swap and have not yet seen any mention of the speedo cable or the gear indicator on 1960's vintage cars. anybody know anything about either subject?

thanks

2004R for Powerglide

I swapped a 2004R for the Powerglide in my 68 Skylark Ragtop. The speedo cable screwed right on. You just need to be sure the 2004R has the correct internal spedo drive gears for your wheel/tire size and rearend gears. The shift rod bracket from the glide went right on the shifter stud of the 2004R. Use the nut from the 2004R. Its metric. The glide is SAE. The gear selector indicator on the column will need modification to account for the additional gear.

thanks

thank you for your reply. did you modify the gear selector on the column and if so, how? also, did you use a lock up or non lock up set up. and lastly, how do you like the transmission?

2004R Transmission swap

I,ve not driven it yet. The trans is a PATC Raptor with a 2000 rpm stall speed lock up converter. I put 3.43:1 rear gears and an Auburn posi in the axle. In retrospect I think I should have gone deeper. 3.73s or 3.90s. I have driven a Grand National with a 2004R and 3.43s and it ran pretty well, so we'll see. Right now the 350 is out being rebuilt and modified. Cam, big valves, intake, Q-J etc. I've also got some body work to do which should keep me occupied until fall. I tried to reply to this earlier but I think I did it wrong, so if this a duplicate please excuse me.

Regards

Thinking of same swap.

My 69 CA GS with 455 and TH400 has a 3.90 HD Safe-T-Track in the rear and that 3 speed auto really piles on the RPMs at highway speeds, unknown RPMS, the tach arrives this week, but had this 200-4R I pulled from an old caddy sitting on the shelf for years and thought would be great to drop some R's and save some gas on the highway, let alone more top end...
    Looked into getting the Trans-Go kit for pump and valve body, new converter, lost the old one, and a kit for the lock up so it locks in 4th, generic kit on eBay for around $50 I think it was, new lock-up solenoid and some other items, then since the TH400 is from a Centurion in there, need a longer driveshaft, of which I am hoping there is still one in my garage from a cutty, so having the shaft and trany, out of pocket costs for upgrade would be just over $300 with fluid. Not too bad I think..

Just rebuilt entire front suspension, all Moog except for Energy Suspension bushings and sway bar kit, used the 5400 springs, picked up a B4B and some Polston tall black valve covers, and recently added some 2" primary TA headers, prob do cam and work on oil pump when install intake and plug A.I.R. ports.

But the 200-4R would be great addition if beefed up a little, or if you can find those 3 letter coded tranies that were built better, this caddy had 80k on her, trany been on the shelf in garage nearly 20 years now, rolling dice not going through her all the way, but work has been slow, might wait until it picks up and do it right, but if I do have to pull it, at least not a FWD...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Gerlach View Post
    Looked into getting the Trans-Go kit for pump and valve body, new converter, lost the old one, and a kit for the lock up so it locks in 4th, generic kit on eBay for around $50 I think it was, new lock-up solenoid and some other items, then since the TH400 is from a Centurion in there, need a longer driveshaft, of which I am hoping there is still one in my garage from a cutty, so having the shaft and trany, out of pocket costs for upgrade would be just over $300 with fluid. Not too bad I think..

But the 200-4R would be great addition if beefed up a little, or if you can find those 3 letter coded tranies that were built better, this caddy had 80k on her, trans been on the shelf in garage nearly 20 years now, rolling dice not going through her all the way, but work has been slow, might wait until it picks up and do it right, but if I do have to pull it, at least not a FWD...
    Don't "roll the dice".
    Make sure you have an AA code trans from the Cadillac.

will have this on the vb

Get the internal pressures up with a .500 boost valve, a larger re/boost valve, and the 700 spring for the pump.
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/TH700R4_TV_boost_valve_500_diameter_p/350-00035333a.htm
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00k77898a.htm
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-007791708.htm
    allow it to get the pressures up with the tv cable spring for the VB.
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-07796801k.htm
    I would put in a new stator support before you put the trans in. This does require pulling out the pump. but is easier than pulling the trans back out and then pulling the pump if the splines aren't good on the one in the trans.
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000036766.htm

plenty of places to get these parts from. I have bought from these people before with good results but i have bought from others as well.

does anyone have info about what modification they made for the gear selector?

Quote Originally Posted by BCCBuickV8 View Post
    does anyone have info about what modification they made for the gear selector?
    Column or floor shift?