- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: estimate my hp !!!!

estimate my hp !!!!

Ok here we go again. I am building 464 cubic inch big block Buick Motor for my 86 Buick Regal I'm going with a factory crank factory reconditioned rods and a forged set of pistons pre notched from ta Performance should be somewhere about 10.5.1 compression ratio doing a set of stage 2 aluminum heads from ta Performance will a stage 2 aluminum intake All port matched with a 1050 dominator carb with a TA performance 308 flat tappet solid lifter cam will a .575 lift with 3 inch dual exhaust. Can someone here give me an estimated guess of my horsepower / torque?

I'd say 525 HP and 545 TQ as it looks like there is no porting on the heads and 10:1 compression is on the low end for that cam.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Thanks

My goal is to keep this thing streetable but I'd like to get into the mid fives horsepower wise so I need to do a bump up in compression do you think 11 and a half to 1 gets me there ?

I think the 308 cam is not going to be that streetable unless you like a 4K stall in your converter, no vacuum for brakes and an idle well above 1000 RPM. I don't know if 93 octane would work with an 11-12:1 compression ratio with that cam. Most people running that cam have it in a car mainly used to race with race gas or octane booster and high compression to get the most out of the combination. We would have to run the dynamic compression ratio calculator with your setup to see.

You also really don't need a split pattern cam as the exhaust flows very well on the Stage II heads. This is unlike the stage I heads that benefit from more duration on the exhaust to overcome their limitations. Your current compression ratio would be better suited to a cam with less duration that would be more efficient in the lower rpm range. You might be able to use less cam that suits your engine better to achieve your power goals and still maintain streetability. A cam with @.050" numbers in the mid 230s-low 240s would be able to maintain power brakes and provide more grunt down lower in the RPM range with your compression. The roller cams now available for the 455 can have short duration's with very aggressive lobes and lifts that allow a lot more air in with a smaller cam. This translates to more power in a lower RPM range that is also street friendly. I would go one of those two ways with your engine: a smaller duration single pattern cam or a smaller duration roller cam.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo

When it is dialed in right, you should have mid 500's. Very similar to my build, except for the heads. I have Edelbrock heads. Making mid 600's now.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

cam

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenbuick View Post
    I think the 308 cam is not going to be that streetable unless you like a 4K stall in your converter, no vacuum for brakes and an idle well above 1000 RPM. I don't know if 93 octane would work with an 11-12:1 compression ratio with that cam. Most people running that cam have it in a car mainly used to race with race gas or octane booster and high compression to get the most out of the combination. We would have to run the dynamic compression ratio calculator with your setup to see.

You also really don't need a split pattern cam as the exhaust flows very well on the Stage II heads. This is unlike the stage I heads that benefit from more duration on the exhaust to overcome their limitations. Your current compression ratio would be better suited to a cam with less duration that would be more efficient in the lower rpm range. You might be able to use less cam that suits your engine better to achieve your power goals and still maintain streetability. A cam with @.050" numbers in the mid 230s-low 240s would be able to maintain power brakes and provide more grunt down lower in the RPM range with your compression. The roller cams now available for the 455 can have short duration's with very aggressive lobes and lifts that allow a lot more air in with a smaller cam. This translates to more power in a lower RPM range that is also street friendly. I would go one of those two ways with your engine: a smaller duration single pattern cam or a smaller duration roller cam.
    again thank you very much for all this input I want to make this build right and also driving on the street can you give me a specific cam from ta that you would suggest so that I can research it before I make a purchase thanks again

Here is a list of cams which I considered street cams:

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/cont...election-Guide

When you say "Street Cam" referring to going for significant increases in HP, I think the higher limit is a very grey area. It depends on how uncomfortable a car you are willing to wrestle with on the street.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

These are the TA cams I would consider if you goal is close to 550 HP on 93 octane fuel with 10:1 compression and Stage II heads: Hemi Killer, 290H and the (expensive) roller 279R. All of these cams would still operate power brakes and maximize your proposed engine for power. The roller would be the most docile and would make the most power. Talk to TA before you buy. They know how each of these preform on the street and can let you know exactly what you will be living with.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo

spoke with Tim at TA today

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenbuick View Post
    These are the TA cams I would consider if you goal is close to 550 HP on 93 octane fuel with 10:1 compression and Stage II heads: Hemi Killer, 290H and the (expensive) roller 279R. All of these cams would still operate power brakes and maximize your proposed engine for power. The roller would be the most docile and would make the most power. Talk to TA before you buy. They know how each of these preform on the street and can let you know exactly what you will be living with.
    spoke with him today he suggested that I go with ta 413 cam he says it should put me somewhere around the 535 hp range with plenty of torque to boot. Thanks again for everything I've got a few decisions to make and this build will be 80% complete

estimate my hp !!!!

That vibrates in the same frequency as the others suggested, but is a dual pattern cam. There are lots of well prepped stage one cars running that cam in the 11s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dr. Frankenbuick; 09-03-2015 at 06:08 AM.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo