- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: '66 Wildcat - Intermittent Starting Issue

'66 Wildcat - Intermittent Starting Issue

Dear Buick Friends,

Do you ever one of those problems that just leaves you "Dazed and Confused"? I have a '66 Wildcat Custom 2-Dr Coupe, 401 Nailhead, bucket seats, center console with automatic shifter. Over the past 3-4 years we have been in restoration mode getting the car back to original condition. Your expertise is needed with analyzing an ignition issue that first began happening earlier this year.

After getting the car out for a ride around town, at times after making a stop it will not re-start. When this situation occurs, lights still work but turning the ignition gets nothing - no "click", no starter grind, nothing, dead. However, after hooking the car up to another with jumper cables it will fire right of usually on the first attempt.

Today, I had a slightly different scenario. Took a spin through a local fast food drive-through for lunch after being out with the car for a few errands. Had to pull forward into a parking space and wait for my order. After 5-10 minutes, shut the car off. Momentarily, my food was brought out. You guessed it, tried to re-start - Dead. Before flagging down someone or calling AAA to get a jump, decided to let the engine cool a bit more. After a 10 minute wait, tried starting again and it fired on the first attempt.

Attempts to correct the issue include:

1. new battery.
    2. new starter & solenoid (actually both are re-built Delco-Remy).
    3. new voltage regulator.
    4. coil replaced 2-3 years ago.
    5. cleaned end of battery lead and relocated from exhaust header bolt to the engine block.

Have not replaced wiring harnesses. Any suggestions you Gurus might have will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if additional background information is needed.

Thanks for listening and hope you are having great times with your Buick!

Sincerely,

Phillip McDowell
    Jacksonville, FL
    Phillip McDowell
    phillip.mcdowell@mac.com

Phill, how about the ignition switch itself or bad connections to it? Maybe the connections at the bulkhead for the harness. I had one there that was dirty and bent. Sometimes, the car would only run in the start position, but if i jumped the coil it would stay running. Eventually i traced it back to to the bulkhead. We have the wiring diagrams in the reference section under the years. You may be able to sort it out using that as well.

Good Luck -
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Thanks, Doctor!

Good suggestion, Dr. Frank. Will check the ignition switch and wiring connections. We cleaned up the multi-prong connector for the voltage regulator. It was corroded really bad. My guess is most of the others are as well.

Thank you and keep those suggestions coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenbuick View Post
    Phill, how about the ignition switch itself or bad connections to it? Maybe the connections at the bulkhead for the harness. I had one there that was dirty and bent. Sometimes, the car would only run in the start position, but if i jumped the coil it would stay running. Eventually i traced it back to to the bulkhead. We have the wiring diagrams in the reference section under the years. You may be able to sort it out using that as well.

Good Luck -
    Phillip McDowell
    phillip.mcdowell@mac.com