- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildcat reardiff

Wildcat reardiff

So if I understand all the info I've received and read, a rear differential from a 70's riv should be interchangeable (meaning the guts)...71 and above change out the whole axle

i don't believe a 1971+ rear housing would bolt up to your car. between significant generations, GM usually changed every major dimension in the car. ... i had typed that i was sure the 71+ cars were bigger ... wiki disagrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_...1.E2.80.931976

perhaps the 1971-76 housings WOULD fit? unknown.

it is POSSIBLE that you may be able to use 71+ internals, but i wouldn't spend a whole lot of money testing this idea out. if you can grab a 71-76 gear set / housing for close to the scrap metal price, it would be worth taking a look at.

since Tom pointed out that the Riv used a Panhard bar up to 1970, we know you can't use a 66-70 Riv / Eldo / Toro housing.

but you should be able to use a housing out of pretty much any other GM big car from 1966-70.

make a rough sketch of the major attachment points on the housing you have, use a tape measure to get the rough dimensions and take that along when you go to the junk yard. anything GM from like years that matches up within a 1/2" in all your major dimensions should work.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

'66-'70 Riv. was REAR WHEEL DRIVE. Front wheel drive didn't start until, I believe, 1977 on Rivs.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

i know. i pointed out on the first page that the Eldo and Toro were the only large cars that have always been FWD.

your posting that the Panhard was used until 1970 also rules out the Riv for pre-71 housings. the gearsets from those Rivs would still be swappable though.

Front wheel drive didn't start until, I believe, 1977 on Rivs.

not quite.

the Riv was downsized in 1977 but remained RWD until the 1979 'metric' chassis.

http://rivowners.org/features/evolution/evpt79.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_...2.80.931985.29

this means that the only Riv rear end drum-to-drum housings which are compatible with other GM big cars are the 1971-78 model years.

however, this is an extreme edge case we're talking about here. i sincerely doubt very many people are going to be looking to steal a rear end from a Riv in order to scavenge parts for a Wildcat or Electra.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Wildcat reardiff

Found a posi track on ebay....# ED 32 10-12 D3....12 bolt.....what range of gear ratio would be applicable to this particular posi.....307/308 above or 307/308 and below?...seller not sure...still looking for a pinon

Wildcat reardiff

Well found an 70"s olds 88/98 axle...but nothing really fit...The rim flange on the axle to big...The axle shafts are thicker and longer ...The carrier bearings is the same size....buick one is different from left to right so can't even swap out anything...back to square on...still looking for a 9 3/8th chunk!!!! Anybody got some parts laying around???

so it's completely incompatible with your 69 rear?

AND you can't swap the whole housing?

well, ****. sorry i mislead you there.
    Vladimir Lenin

Wildcat reardiff

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    so it's completely incompatible with your 69 rear?

AND you can't swap the whole housing?

well, ****. sorry i mislead you there.
    The olds housing seams like it'll fit however the rim flange is way large..buick rim and brake drum won't fit. ..axle them self are a inch longer and thicker..be earing more inboard ...so in essence. ..nothing really interchangeable. ..plus the buick carrier bearings are different from left to right. ..olds are the same

[QUOTE=shw69wldct;102040]The olds housing seams like it'll fit however the rim flange is way large..buick rim and brake drum won't fit. ..axle them self are a inch longer and thicker..be earing more inboard ...so in essence. ..nothing really interchangeable. ..plus the buick carrier bearings are different from left to right. ..olds are the same

you said that Olds was a "70s", was that 1971 or newer?
    Vladimir Lenin