From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lever shock questions

lever shock questions

Well, now that my 51 Special is back on the road after many years, it is plain that the shocks are a bit sloppy, and the fluid levels are low or very low. The manual says to fill with "only G. M. or Delco Shock Absorber Fluid." These products are no longer made. I recall someone once mentioning "jack oil" (which I assume is the product used to fill hydraulic jacks), but I'm not sure what is the best substitute for "G. M. or Delco Shock Absorber Fluid." Any suggestions? Thanks for your thoughts.
    '51 Special

Jack oil and shock absorber oil both have anti-foaming additives. So just experiment with anti-foaming oils of different weights till you get the ride you are after. All oil designed for hydraulic systems has anti-foaming agents, transmission fluid and rear differential grease. Just experiment with different weights. I gave up those old style shocks and went to tube shocks. Best modification I ever made.

good or bad, I run CAT MTO 30 wt.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by suntreemcanic View Post
    Jack oil and shock absorber oil both have anti-foaming additives. So just experiment with anti-foaming oils of different weights till you get the ride you are after. All oil designed for hydraulic systems has anti-foaming agents, transmission fluid and rear differential grease. Just experiment with different weights. I gave up those old style shocks and went to tube shocks. Best modification I ever made.
    Long-

Thanks for your thoughts. I just did a quick and dirty viscosity test (drops of different oils on a metal sheet, tilt the sheet, see which drops moved the quickest and farthest), and conclude that the jack oil I have is of considerably lower viscosity than the existing oil in the shocks, Dextron type ATF is of somewhat greater viscosity than the jack oil but still less viscose that the existing shock oil, and 90 wt. gear lube is considerably more viscose than any of the other oils. Do I understand correctly that the gear lube should provide the (desired) greater damping effect? Do you see any danger that the gear lube is so viscose that it would actually prevent the shocks from functioning, blow gaskets, or otherwise cause problems?

Also, I would be very interested in the approach you took in converting to tube shocks. Like what fabrication was necessary, how you selected shocks, whether or not (and how) you disabled or replaced the original front shocks. I suspect there are others with the same questions. Would you be willing to provide that information?

'51 Special

Shocks don't "Burn" oil they just leak. I've used 75wt. gear oil in some with NO problems.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Well, I went with the 80-90 wt gear oil. Both front shocks were so low on fluid they might as well have been empty, one rear was very low, and one (which obviously has been leaking) was near to spec. I followed the manual directions for filling them, except (lacking the "Shock Absorber Gun KMO 1026" and "Adapter J 1611") I used an old thumb-action oil can to fill the rears. Also, I found that a 1.5" drywall screw dropped in the filler opening is a quick way to gauge the fluid level in the rears. The bounciness went away, and it feels much less like driving a boat. The ride maybe a bit more harsh than I had anticipated, but, all in all, a big improvement.
    '51 Special

'51 Special, If you do a search for "Front Tube Shock Installation" I submitted pictures and a description of my conversion in May of 2011.

Here is a link to Suntreemcanic's post: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/show...k-installation
    There is also a link to another article on the net in the reference section.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks Bob, I am much more comfortable with wrenches than a computer.

shocks

suntree, I have read your conversion pictorial. May have to use it. I had my shocks rebuilt but after about four years, one leaks badly. I will try to install a new seal. If that does not work, on to your way.

Did you do the back ones as well?

Thanks
    Ben