- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 1960 LeSabre dim dashboard and fancy clock

1960 LeSabre dim dashboard and fancy clock

My dash lights are very dim. I took off the front housing on the vents and heater panels, replaced the bulbs and they are bright. The backs of the panel indicator glass are black with from what I can see, no real way for the light from the bulb to penetrate through the glass to illuminate the panel! Is that factory? What gives? I've ordered some led dash lights equivilent to the regular bulbs to see if that helps. For the life of me I don't understand what Buick was thinking when they designed this particular system.

AND has anyone ever replaced the light on the freestanding dash clock on the 1960 LeSabre? How'd ya' do it? Thanks,
    Oz

Light switch rheostat

Quote Originally Posted by OZ40 View Post
    My dash lights are very dim. I took off the front housing on the vents and heater panels, replaced the bulbs and they are bright. The backs of the panel indicator glass are black with from what I can see, no real way for the light from the bulb to penetrate through the glass to illuminate the panel! Is that factory? What gives? I've ordered some led dash lights equivilent to the regular bulbs to see if that helps. For the life of me I don't understand what Buick was thinking when they designed this particular system.

AND has anyone ever replaced the light on the freestanding dash clock on the 1960 LeSabre? How'd ya' do it? Thanks,
    Oz

Are you aware there is a rheostat in the light switch that will brighten or dim the dash lights? Just twist the light switch knob - clockwise and counter clockwise - back and forth to set the dash lights where you want them. I don't know about the black indicators - but, once the dash lights are full "bright" maybe you will then be able to see through them. BluesBrothersBuicks

Yep, I''ve

Yep, I adjusted the rheostat but the dimness doesn't diminish much. When I turn them on at dusk it's impossible to see any difference between off and on. It seems they work better when I pull into the garage though, go figure......

Update

Changing from regular factory bulbs to the LED bulbs made a nice difference in the visibility of my instrument panel. FYI the clock simply slides off the base and changing the bulb is easy. It had been a long time since I contorted myself under the dashboard of a car but in spite of a little soreness it was worth it.

As a side note. I purchased some 120mm red LED rings and secured them to the inside of my tail light lenses with the two wires at the bottom. I then drilled a small hole in the back plates and attached the ground wire to the mounting screws and ran the power wire to the brake light/turn signal wire. I now have much better lighting with my brake lights and turn signals. The individual LEDS look like afterburners when I apply the brakes or turn signals. It looks very cool and my brake lights are much more visible now!