From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Chevy BB in 52 Secial

Chevy BB in 52 Secial

So im wanting to swap out the I8 for a V8 in my 52 Special.

Im located in New Zealand.
    yip bottom of the world and there aint any Nailheads up for grabs down here.

Im looking at chevy big blocks.
    Im in the initial plan out the build phase. Hope to use 396, 427 or a 454.
    Has anyone here dropped a BB chevy in a 52? fit ok?
    Rather BB than SB as when i push the go pedal i like to get the ol girl moving and i prefer the sound.
    Have toyed with idea of LS but ye...

Why change?
    Well few reasons. the I8 goes fine but cant find any performance parts for it.
    Chevy's have a **** load of aftermarket parts and are simple to work on.
    I also want power steering and if im doing that i figure i would do the whole front end including new anchors.

So im going with the general idea of "well *** if its going off the road for a bit then needing re-certification after i best do the whole underside of the ol girl now than latter"

Yes i understand its a bit of a job, whole drive train, front/rear end, breaks, exhaust etc. (already 12v)

So any advice on what would fit under the hood would be great. Keep in mind down here in NZ its mostly Chevs, Holdens, and Fords power plant wise.
    been trying for a 401/425 Nailhead for so long i have just given up.

Hey thanks
    Alex

In case it helps with your decision, here is a chart:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/e...dimensions.php

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

The easiest thing to do is find another chassis & install the '52 body onto such. On the plus side: depending on chassis choice, disc brakes, modern suspension, power steering, A/C in many cases, much more readily available suspension parts & on & on & on. Old car body on a modern type frame.

Just my thoughts which may end up being less costly & more enjoyable.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    The easiest thing to do is find another chassis & install the '52 body onto such. On the plus side: depending on chassis choice, disc brakes, modern suspension, power steering, A/C in many cases, much more readily available suspension parts & on & on & on. Old car body on a modern type frame.

Just my thoughts which may end up being less costly & more enjoyable.

Tom T.
    great idea. and one I hadnt really thought about.
    being a bolt on body it would be alot easier.

Another issue is my car is Left Hand Drive. and New Zealand is a Right Hand Drive country so finding an old LFD car to swap over might be hard.
    if some one has gone through the troubles of importing a car all the way to the bottom of the world they generally do em up and they cost some serious wedge.

So if i was to go with the idea of chassis swap you have any recommendations.
    Alot of Holdens down here along with Fords - although im a bit over ford after owning so many fairlanes and falcons.

that chart is great thanks Bob. going over it now on other screen.
    Stats on a chevy BB 396-454 looking good vs Nail head what i would of preferred but christ they aint exactly light weight beasts.

Cheers
    Alex

I'm sure the body will not be exactly a "bolt-on". You just need to find a donor chassis with a wheelbase that's fairly close to the '52. Basically ANY foreign or domestic with the correct dimensions can be used. If you can find a RHD in your country, which may be easier, it will ALREADY be RHD & that would be one less thing to worry about.
    Again, just my thoughts.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

been thinking of RHD conversion for some time. thing is finding a dash.
    heck cant even find a scratched up, weather beaten mouse infested RHD dash.

Not sure if you checked the vids but the dash is pretty mint currently. have the new amp n stereo under the seats so not to hurt it.
    everything in the dash currently works so if i was to find a RHD one in **** condition its no biggie changing parts over.

Been looking about online in NZ for something that has a wheel base about the same. Not looking good.
    Looking like it may be cheaper just to throw in a holden or jag front end then a decent diff, drive shaft and suspension.

Alex

Been looking about online in NZ for something that has a wheel base about the same. Not looking good.

are you checking truck and van chassis? also, station wagons.

the wheelbase for your year special should be ~121.5" (3,086 mm), which is VERY long for a modern car, not so impressive for a 1/2 ton truck or van.

i was too a Duesenberg show last month and they were talking about how a Duesie replica had been built on top of a Ford Econoline chassis, partly because the "Twin I-beam" suspension looks somewhat similar to the front suspension of cars built back in the 20s and 30s.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post

are you checking truck and van chassis? also, station wagons.
    Yip been checking them.

also contacted a custom & restoration dash guy about swapping the dash about.
    Seems like it will be easier than i thought due the gauge panel and glove-box panel area being about the only parts that need swapped over and they are similar shaped.
    Sure I will have to reach over for the lights etc on the middle console but I can live with that.

You could even use a Jag rear suspension set-up. I know a couple people that have swapped over to Jag fronts & rears in '56-'57 Buicks. If it can be done on those I see NO reason why it can't be done on a '52. In any case NO MATTER what you do it's gonna be A LOT of work either way.
    This is supposed to be about having fun.
    Havin' FUN yet???

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

Yip been checking them.

worst case, grab a truck / van frame and shorten it.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)