Thread: 65 lark

65 lark

Glad to be here...I just bought a 1965 buick skylark 2 door with 300/ 310 wildcat and super turbine 300 trans....welcome all suggestions, advice, pros,cons, must do's, don't do's...etc.....first thing I will do is convert to HEI...any ideas ???? thanks all

if you do a rebuild, convert to neoprene front and rear main seals and look up the oil passage mods.

you can really help out oil flow if you spend a little quality time with a die grinder and some specialized drill bits. never use a Fram filter, always use AC-Delco / Wix / NAPA Gold / etc.

the ST-300 may be a switch pitch? if it's not, you may want to look into converting to a 200r4, shorter first gear means better acceleration, OD means better fuel mileage on the highway.

if you want a mechanic, look for a Buick v6 turbo guy ( the 300ci is the basis for the 231 / 3.8L ), a Buick big block guy

OR

a Land Rover guy. the Rover guy might be surprised that you're asking him to work on your motor ... until you lift the hood. he should recognize pretty much everything, except that yours is in cast iron.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

got it ...actually I was told the trans is a switch pitch(not sure how to tell or what that means)....ac/delco , wix filters it is .......as my dad raised me " knowledge is a powerful thing " keep the info coming

that's a special torque convertor that has vanes that "switch pitch" to change the stall rpm depending on conditions. it acts like another gear, especially for hard launches.

the SP is controlled by throttle position from the factory but can be wired for a switch inside the cabin for full manual control by the driver.

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/SPTrans.htm

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/switchpitch.htm
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

great links thank you I learned a lot about that trans yes mine is a SP....