Thread: Steering Box

Steering Box

Looking for a good used steering box for a 1962 Buick Invicta. If you have one that you are willing to sell, please email me at rcfryer@gmail.com . Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Power or manual??? Is your box mounted inside or outside of the frame rail??? If outside I have one from a '61 Lesabre that should fit the bill.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Steering Box.

Hello Tom.
    The steering box is a power steering box and is located inside the frame. I understand that 60-64 will fit, except for 61. Thanks for trying. If you hear of one that fits inside the frame, please let me know. Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Now knowing that Ron you have a variety of options. You can use the SLOWER ratio early boxes or the much more MODERN faster ratio boxes. It makes a HUGE diff. in driving pleasure. Your box would be a model "808" for the larger cars. Finding something for a newer full size car would be easier than an older box. Starting in '69/'70 the ratios started getting better & by '71 MANY were a faster ratio. You could even use a variable ratio out of a Caddy starting in '65 & MUCH MORE widely available by '67 right up to, I believe, '76. As I recall it's a BOLT-IN swap. Only have to swap pitman arms. Everything else is the same.
    One of the ways to tell if it's a faster ratio on one you are thinking about getting. Out of the car it will have 3- 3 1/4 turns, or less, as opposed to 4 turns plus for an earlier box. BEFORE you install it do a re-seal this way you WON'T have to remove the box again. The GM 808 boxes are pretty bullet proof if someone hasn't been messing with it.
    Try it, I know you'll like it.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts